Lost my sweet cherryhead conure 33 years old..

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
I joined the parrot forum today. I got my cherry head conure as a Christmas gift 1989 and lost him in April 2022.. almost 33 years old and with me almost every single day of those years.. I am heartbroken beyond words.. the only health problem he had was in 2017, looking back we realize he possibly had a minor stroke then, and went into a seizure, it was a holiday weekend so it took me a while to find a hospital to take him to but I found great one in New Jersey near my home.. he was there for about 3 days and was not expected to survive but much to the veterinarians surprise he not only survived he thrived for 6 years, even with his limitations he was left with, he was unable to fly, and had a left foot that didn't work all the time.. but he never let it stop him my little guy was such a trooper he was still happy and would run around all the time and never ever lost his appetite.. I knew he was getting older but all a little routines we had before I left for work in the morning and when I would come home always stayed intact, he'd hear my keys in the door before I even got in and was so happy that I was home, I'd reach in with his perch and he would jump on it and I put him down on the floor he would jump off the perch and go running everywhere.. he loved to cuddle in my lap and fall asleep for hours when I'd watch TV.. so many things 33 years of memories and laughter and so much love.. now my home is so lifeless and quiet without him, on the Saturday before I lost him he would have been having some troubles and I went and bought him all new food dishes that were easier for him to use and wouldn't tip over if he stood on them.. that night he was actually playing with them jumping from the food dish into the water dish and back up again like he used to do when he was younger, I was so grateful he was doing so much better, I checked on him during the night and he was sleeping so perfectly, checked on him again and he had moved over to the other side of his cage on the purse like he always did, I woke him up in the morning and something was just different, I tried everything to help him but he was going through something and I couldn't help him, I called the vet they told me to bring him in, I got him there in less than 15 minutes but he passed away in the car before we even got there.. they did a necropsy and believe he had arteriosclerosis, because he had lesions on his heart.. and believed he had a stroke, and when I told the vet about what happened in 2017 he couldn't believe that he even survived that.. and again not just survived it he thrived and was his happy little guy until that Sunday morning.. I did everything I could to help him always, 32 years is a really long time,, had him from a little tiny baby.. and I just miss him so much.. and I beat myself up all the time lately wondering what I could have done differently to help him.. that Saturday I thought we were going to have many more years together, little did I know I was going to lose him the next day..

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I joined the parrot forum today. I got my cherry head conure as a Christmas gift 1989 and lost him in April 2022.. almost 33 years old and with me almost every single day of those years.. I am heartbroken beyond words.. the only health problem he had was in 2017, looking back we realize he possibly had a minor stroke then, and went into a seizure, it was a holiday weekend so it took me a while to find a hospital to take him to but I found great one in New Jersey near my home.. he was there for about 3 days and was not expected to survive but much to the veterinarians surprise he not only survived he thrived for 6 years, even with his limitations he was left with, he was unable to fly, and had a left foot that didn't work all the time.. but he never let it stop him my little guy was such a trooper he was still happy and would run around all the time and never ever lost his appetite.. I knew he was getting older but all a little routines we had before I left for work in the morning and when I would come home always stayed intact, he'd hear my keys in the door before I even got in and was so happy that I was home, I'd reach in with his perch and he would jump on it and I put him down on the floor he would jump off the perch and go running everywhere.. he loved to cuddle in my lap and fall asleep for hours when I'd watch TV.. so many things 33 years of memories and laughter and so much love.. now my home is so lifeless and quiet without him, on the Saturday before I lost him he would have been having some troubles and I went and bought him all new food dishes that were easier for him to use and wouldn't tip over if he stood on them.. that night he was actually playing with them jumping from the food dish into the water dish and back up again like he used to do when he was younger, I was so grateful he was doing so much better, I checked on him during the night and he was sleeping so perfectly, checked on him again and he had moved over to the other side of his cage on the purse like he always did, I woke him up in the morning and something was just different, I tried everything to help him but he was going through something and I couldn't help him, I called the vet they told me to bring him in, I got him there in less than 15 minutes but he passed away in the car before we even got there.. they did a necropsy and believe he had arteriosclerosis, because he had lesions on his heart.. and believed he had a stroke, and when I told the vet about what happened in 2017 he couldn't believe that he even survived that.. and again not just survived it he thrived and was his happy little guy until that Sunday morning.. I did everything I could to help him always, 32 years is a really long time,, had him from a little tiny baby.. and I just miss him so much.. and I beat myself up all the time lately wondering what I could have done differently to help him.. that Saturday I thought we were going to have many more years together, little did I know I was going to lose him the next day..
Oh @WEN229, welcome to the forums, but I am so very sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. Your cherryhead sounds like he was a wonderful bird and you were so lucky to have such a fantastic relationship for so many years together - I honestly believe whether it's 3 years or 33 or 300 it would never be enough with these special ones. Please don't beat yourself up over the "what ifs", he knows how much you loved him and it sounds to me like he could not have hoped for a more loving and attentive parront in you. I'm so glad you found us, I have found that just being among folks like those here who understand the depths of the bonds we share with our feathered charges to be an enormous help. My deepest and most profound condolences go out to you for your loss, but I firmly believe that we will meet them again, and oh what a glorious reunion that will be!

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, precious one, until we all meet again 🙏

OP
W

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
Oh @WEN229, welcome to the forums, but I am so very sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. Your cherryhead sounds like he was a wonderful bird and you were so lucky to have such a fantastic relationship for so many years together - I honestly believe whether it's 3 years or 33 or 300 it would never be enough with these special ones. Please don't beat yourself up over the "what ifs", he knows how much you loved him and it sounds to me like he could not have hoped for a more loving and attentive parront in you. I'm so glad you found us, I have found that just being among folks like those here who understand the depths of the bonds we share with our feathered charges to be an enormous help. My deepest and most profound condolences go out to you for your loss, but I firmly believe that we will meet them again, and oh what a glorious reunion that will be!

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, precious one, until we all meet again 🙏

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220828-123048_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220828-123048_Photos.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200531_140657 (1) j.jpg
    20200531_140657 (1) j.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20140824_130434_964 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140824_130434_964 (2).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 64

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What a beautiful bird! I’m sorry for your loss.

I had a sweet funny cherry head conure some years ago and I think of him often. My guy was pretty battered so it’s nice to see a well -cared for, happy bird.

Thank you for caring for him for so many years.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh @WEN229 Sending you so many big hugs - what an amazing life the two of you had together!

I've also had a pet that was acting young again right at the end, and I agree it's really disorienting afterward. But it's been enough time now that I'm left with such gratitude that the last little while was so full of the joy he experienced when he was young and healthy, and your beautiful boy did too.

Your conure has left such a big hole in your heart and we all understand that here 💔

OP
W

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
Oh @WEN229 Sending you so many big hugs - what an amazing life the two of you had together!

I've also had a pet that was acting young again right at the end, and I agree it's really disorienting afterward. But it's been enough time now that I'm left with such gratitude that the last little while was so full of the joy he experienced when he was young and healthy, and your beautiful boy did too.

Your conure has left such a big hole in your heart and we all understand that here 💔
Thank you so much, "disorienting " is the exact word....., I thought that he was doing better and we would have more time together....but God gave me a gift that day before... when I read your reply it really helped me see things a little differently.. I got to see him be young and happy again for a little bit.. and that is a gift from God.. of course forever with my Julie wouldn't have been long enough but thank you for your words you truly helped me....

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, I'm gladgladglad you're with us. This is the most wonderful forum in the world.
Thank you for increasing our power and goodness and love by ONE MORE person... you.
Your little darling passed away while loved and treasured, and that is something that sparkles into Eternity. Thank you for sharing. I have a beloved ill-tempered old rooster of 38 years, and this is our online home. I got him when he was about three months old. That was in college and I have been retired for years now.
Stick with us.

OP
W

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
Oh, I'm gladgladglad you're with us. This is the most wonderful forum in the world.
Thank you for increasing our power and goodness and love by ONE MORE person... you.
Your little darling passed away while loved and treasured, and that is something that sparkles into Eternity. Thank you for sharing. I have a beloved ill-tempered old rooster of 38 years, and this is our online home. I got him when he was about three months old. That was in college and I have been retired for years now.
Stick with us.
Thank you so much! Everyone on this line has been so kind and understanding... I can't thank everyone enough

Chrissiejingles

Nov 21, 2019
ENGLAND
Parrots
Mr Jingles OWA.....RIP
Hi. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your precious little bird.
You must be utterly heartbroken.
I am also thankful that he spent his life with you. You were both so lucky to have each other.
I lost my beloved little Amazon 3 years ago. He was 17 year old and I'd had him since he was 4 months old. I loved him, as he did me. He was a true friend to me. He was funny, loud sometimes, loving, loyal and so much more.
When I lost him I was heartbroken, lost.
Now, I still am all of those things, but I do now remember all the brilliant memories....and they bring a smile to my face.
May he be with you in your heart always

OP
W

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
Hi. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your precious little bird.
You must be utterly heartbroken.
I am also thankful that he spent his life with you. You were both so lucky to have each other.
I lost my beloved little Amazon 3 years ago. He was 17 year old and I'd had him since he was 4 months old. I loved him, as he did me. He was a true friend to me. He was funny, loud sometimes, loving, loyal and so much more.
When I lost him I was heartbroken, lost.
Now, I still am all of those things, but I do now remember all the brilliant memories....and they bring a smile to my face.
May he be with you in your heart always
Thank you so much, I totally understand everything you said...my Julie was so funny, and was not a hand fed baby, someone told me I would never be able to really touch him!!! LOVE CHANGES EVERYTHING, he became such a cuddler, when I was on my computer his favorite spot was on my shoulder, nestling his head in my hair and nap...& he loved to sleep in my lap in my hands while I watch TV....33 years of so many routines we had and laughter, I am honestly lost without my buddy....
Thank you again for your kind words... it means so much...

Most Reactions

Latest posts