lost perrot

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
Hello!
I've had two perrots, two gree cheek conures, a female and a male ages between 1 and 1.5 years old. Recntley they grew wings and were flying pretty well aroud the house. We always made sure to keep windows closed if they were hanging in a curtent room, we set rules with thm of where they allowed to fly and where not.
today the 15th of May while i was in the shower, my brother smoking on the balcony and my parents not home, my brother by accident left the balcony door open and the both of the birds flew out (even tho they knew they were not allowed to be there). In a hurry me and my brother went out and searched for them, we were able to find the famle but the mae was no where to be seen, its got dark and we went back home and set on the balcony the cage and his favourit treat, even set the famle in the cage and closed it.
Im really worried for him and i wantedto ask, do perrots ,specificly green cheeks, know where home is? Can they navagate their way back home?
I would really appriciate an answer asap!im extremly worried.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
The day we lost our Indian ringneck (about 25 years ago!) we printed up dozens of notices with his description and our contact details and walked for several blocks surrounding our home, leaving them in everyone’s mailboxes. Turned out he had landed on the balcony of a unit only one street away and we had him back by that afternoon! You can also post on Facebook or any online community websites you may have in your area.

Good luck with your search, I hope you get him back!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Also check parrot 911, facebook etc...

OP
M

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
I'll make sure to do that! I already posted on Facebook and i got a reply saying he was last seen in a building, she also said that she tried taking him but he flew out of the building and ever since then she did not see him. Tomorrow morning ill make sure to go to that area and check every little tree! On the way ill hang up the posters! Thank you for replaying!!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Here’s the link to parrotalert...

https://www.parrotalert.com/

Not sure where in the world you’re located, but a member here got her eclectus back via that service.

Good luck!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dont be discouraged, lots of parrots are found, even weeks and months later. Post in petshops and vets in the area too.

OP
M

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
Its really hard not to get discourged but im trying to keep my hopes up! i'm going to head out and keep searching for him right now.
Thank you!

OP
M

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
Thank you so much guys for the usful information and for calming me down! i really needed it! :))

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
M

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
GREAT NEWS!! WE FOUND HIM. he was 20 minutes drive from out house which we still dont undarstand how he got so far. but a lovley couple found him and called us. We're extremly happy!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
WOW! YAYYYYYYY! THAT IS GREAT NEWS! He flew lol! Parrots can fly up to 40 miles in a day (which is why it's even more awesome that you found him).

How did they find you/know to contact you? This may help people looking for their lost birds in the future.

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

OP
M

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
Of course!
My brother had the idea to post it on facebook which is a big platform wuth pages who will help u find him and will calm u down!
the post had a lot of shares to it and people commenting! we left out numbers on the post and yestarday got a call saying they found him!
we drove to the locetion they told us and found him!
i would defently recomend posting on any social media platform!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Congratulations, I’m so happy an honest person found him and he’s been returned safely to you!

Maybe this should be further incentive for your brother to give up smoking ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts