ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
For the past 2 or 3 years the greys have ignored each other, gotten annoyed with each other, but mostly live their lives like they are the only parrot and the rest is merely decoration.
(They are both handraised so a bit social inept and not really sure what they are - as usuall - and much more comfortable with humans than anything else.)

One year the one is the dominant one and will chase the other away from an extra nice treat, the next its is complete role reversal...

They are both very adult birds (Appie was born in 2009. Japie is unknown but traced back at least to 2000, but could be way older than that).

Today Japie was making those soggy-I-am-about-to-feed-you noises in my left ear when Appie decided to climb up the same sleeve towards my shoulder.
Since she never aims for a shoulder that is already occupied it must be deliberate :eek: so ... I let her.
(I was ignoring Japie at that time because I really do not enjoy regurgitated parrotfood in my mouth, nose or ear.)
She got almost to the top and started touching his beak as if to ask "feed me?".

Japie almost had a heartattack! :D He *so* did not see that one comming!
(neither did I :p I sort of expected her to chase him off)

She has been pestering him for a long time after that- following him around, trying to grab his beak or offering her head as if to ask for scritches.
He is either a bit of a dumbo, unsure or really uninterested and asked for scritches from me at the same time ... so we have 2 parrots superclose & facing each other (something they usually avoid if possible) both with their heads down and feathers up making "scritch me plze" sounds...

It is a marked difference from simply tolerating or ignoring each other or actively chasing the other away - but really interesting!

Finally he had enough and flew off (he is doing something to the room thermostat atm / trying to get her to cool off a bit?) and Appie is bit more bitey than usual (she usually uses no pressure at all, she is gripping now) so I assume things did not go according to plan?

She is a great girl, but I will never understand her ;)
What do you think: is she looking for loooove?

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
sounds possible, especially if they just put up with each other for now. Enzo is still broody and wanting to cuddle everything, she even bows to the coffee jar asking for scratches. Whilst working earlier she climbed down my arm, into my jacket and cuddled in, not normal. The other day she cuddled in when my GF was there, again not normal, so yes a lot of love in the air atm.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I know my Bella has had a big interest in getting into the cupboard recently.
This is a completely new development for her and I think she is looking for a nesting location.

She has picked my wife as HER person so I have not been getting any unwanted attention from her.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yeah, there is definitely "love" in the air, Kane, my Senegal, is the one who is the most effected by it, and he's been driving me out of my mind for the past few months, and I think he's getting worse...I also do not have any desire for regurgitated pellets and whatever else in my mouth or ear, but damn if he doesn't want me to eat it...

There is a huge difference in Kane just being a bit "broody", and Kane acting like a rapist...He gets in these moods sometimes, I have no idea what starts them, but he suddenly flies over near me, then his wings hang out and low, and he comes walking over to me making those quiet little "chirping" noises with his wings drooping...Usually he just walks around me in circles until he figures out it's not going to happen, then he leaves and does whatever it is that he does...But lately he's been climbing onto me wherever my hands are, and he's using his beak to actually try to "position" them to his, uh, "liking"...and when I move them he gets really upset and again grabs my hand/fingers and tries his damndest to get my fingers in just the right place...It's quite disturbing...Not as disturbing as when he humps the little stuffed Carfax "Car Fox" I gave him, that's upsetting and gives me nightmares...That poor Car Fox...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She is a great girl, but I will never understand her ;)
What do you think: is she looking for loooove?

If I had a nickel for every time I've said this...
Chuckled over that one!
Ya love is the sure here too. Neptune has been rubbing himself all over Ta-dah, and she ain't having it! His tongue hangs out and he look like a sleaze ball! But I forgive him he is in full puberty mode. I hope Appie and Jappie make love connection.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Love in the air confirmed. Enzo laid an egg last night

'Tis the season for CAG's to lay eggs too...The couple who opened/have owned the fantastic pet store in my hometown since 1992 are actually distant relatives of mine, the wife is my second cousin through marriage...They have 2 birds that they bought as just-weaned babies right after they opened the store, a male Blue and Gold Macaw who has lived in the store since and still does, and then a female CAG that lives at home with them, and is definitely her baby...I just spoke to him and he is really frustrated because the CAG started laying eggs and they can't get her to stop...They had a huge problem with her doing this early-on and they were finally able to get her to stop "naturally", using a Natural-Light Schedule, some diet changes, etc. And I guess she hadn't laid an egg since the late 90's...and then they found an egg laying in the bottom of her cage last month, and since it's been continual again...She's losing her mind with worry, because the last time this happened she lost so much weight that she was actually in the danger zone, despite the best Avian Veterinary care (they use the same CAV that I do). I remember them going through this back the first time, I was in college and would come home on the weekends, and I used to buy all of my bird pellets and seed-mix there for my breeders and babies, because they sell tons of different types of pellets, seeds, and hand-feeding formulas "By the Pound", so you can make your own pellet and seed mixes, it's amazing...But I remember how bad their CAG looked, despite being on nutritional supplementation prescribed by our CAV, they did everything for her including hospitalizing her for tube-feedings and constant fluids...And she pulled-through. But they obviously don't want to go through that again with her...

I'm going to "knock on wood" because my two female birds, Duff the Cockatiel and Lita the Quaker, have never laid an egg or had any issues at all...In fact, Lita is now over 3 years old and I've never once even seen her be at all "broody" or hormonal in any way at all. Duff the Cockatiel has her infrequent "episodes" where she becomes broody and makes this very distinct, constant "chirping" sound and she'll stick her butt in the face of everyone and every thing, lol. She'll try to back-into my neck, my hands, my legs, Bowie, and yes, Lita (which she wants nothing to do with and she looks like her head is going to explode when Duff tries it)...but those "episodes" happen maybe two or three times a year and that's it. No big deal...Again, "Knock On Wood"...

All of the hormones in this house are male...Shocking, I know :33:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Love is constantly in the air with BB! :mad:

Jim

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo laid 2 eggs and nothing for 4 days, she seems back to herself now. Assuming that's ok and the broody period is now over?

OP
C

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Enzo: I hope so, mine never stopped till they laid the usual 5 eggs.
(D. and Appie anyway-- but 2 grey parots is not scientific 'proof')

They really took is seriously and started nest-sitting for a moon or so.
(I left the eggs there because I was told they just would keep laying untill they had their 5 - and since I heard D. straining at that time I decided not to risk any more!)

So maybe the egglaying is finished, but the hormones (brooding behaviour) is probably still going strong ...

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Thank you. I put a box in her cage with both eggs which she played with for a short while trying to roll them beneath her, but she soon gave up and kicked them out of the box. She seems to sort of know what to do but really did not persevere... I felt quite sorry for her. During the few days of egg laying she was unpredictable and did not want any cuddles or scratches which is very unlike her.

BTW, i bet 5 eggs really takes it out of them...

Last edited:
OP
C

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
LOL, same thing happened here: eggs rolling all over the place.
She kept reaching out and roll them back underneath her, then turn around and (accidentally) kick them out again ... I think they really need to learn to handle eggs as much as any other trick.
(and of course nesting in a hollow .. the eggs will roll back naturally anyway...)

=
dilemma...

I took the cagedevider out - for cleaning purposes but got distracted (phonecal, internet etc.), and Japie flew at Appie (just once) so now I am a bit at a loss what to do...
let them "battle it out" (decide who has the right of way in certain situations) so they can move on and enjoy the entire cage and all the toys or just split it again.
They have shared the cage between them before without any problems, its just when they get hormonal they do not know what to do with themselves (or anyone else).

I have a few 'housebound days' coming up, so I can keep an eye on them.
I prefer the cage as 'a whole': more options for placing perches etc. etc.. and they can blow of steam by really tearing around in it. (No waiting their turn)

Japie is no longer in love with the trashcan btw; he decided the new & vital mission in his life is dismanteling the thermostat for the central heating ....
parrots in da house....whyyyyyyyyyyyyy
(did I ever think it was a great idea!? :D )

Most Reactions

Latest posts