hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I wasn't sure where to post this so if this is a bad place, let me know!

I just wanted to share with the forums that I've decided to continue my fostering journey and today/tomorrow I'll be picking up a pair of bonded lovebirds to foster. Their previous home named them Mr. Big and Ms. Carrie but I think I'm going to call them Jamba and Juice. I certainly hope they don't mind because I just hate the names they're coming with LOL.

I'm really excited because I have a lovebird who's a bit of a loner and my attempts to get her to bond with me have been futile (although she does seem to find me mildly entertaining). I'm going to have to be careful though because the last thing I want is to break my lovebird's lil birdie heart when the foster pair gets adopted... I can't let them all get TOO close. Although from what I understand lovebirds are little menaces to each other outside of their bonded pair so maybe I don't need to worry about them becoming friends haha.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I fostered a lovebird baby and a cockatiel baby when my friend was in the hospital for months. My Quaker was getting old and she got very depressed because I think she thought she was being replaced. The baby was cute and I fussed over it and Lucy got sooooo down and sad😞

You need to make sure your lovebird knows that he is the first and most special bird. Even if you have this discussion with him privately…he was the FIRST BIRD and he is not being replaced.

Maybe your lovebird won’t react like that, but he might. When I saw the look on Lucy’s face I felt so bad, and I made sure not to give first or more attention to the baby bird, but to her. The other bird’s owner did return and then the baby was the favorite bird in that household.

Most Reactions

Latest posts