Lovebird laid an egg, what do I do

Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
So apparently I have a female lovebird. She is almost 10 months old, and just laid her first egg! But…. She is being very protective, and to my knowledge that’s completely normal. I have heard though that you have to take the egg away but not like right away or something but I don’t really know what to do. If anybody has any advise on how to take it without scaring her that would be so helpful! And how should I help her trust me more, she’s been Aggressive for awhile even though she JUST laid the egg.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Leave the eggs with her for her to sit on and get tired of them. Most birds lay a certain number of eggs in a clutch (group of eggs in a nest) and if you take one away they will lay another to replace it.

I would leave the eggs for a couple of weeks so she gets this out of her system. Some people buy dummy eggs and replace the original eggs, and some say to boil the eggs. I’ve always found these tiny eggs to be very fragile and I just left them.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
It is NOT a good idea to remove eggs. I'm assuming she's solo so there's no way the eggs are fertile so just leave them be. If you remove eggs they feel the need to replace the eggs and it can cause serious issues. Just leave the eggs, make sure shes getting lots of calcium and other calories (look up egg food). Leave the eggs until she loses interest in them. I would recommend removing everything nest-like from her cage and discouraging her going to "dark corners" in the house. If shes getting a lot of fruit, decrease it a little to just snacks. Make sure shes getting plenty of sleep too.

OP
Mashed_Potato2021
Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Ok, thank you! She broke both eggs one in half and one is just cracked. Should I put a dummy egg in her cage for the one that’s in half or would that confuse her?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you have a dummy egg, yes! Put it in and maybe her body won’t need to develop and lay so many eggs.

OP
Mashed_Potato2021
Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Ok, so I got the egg food. But how much should I give her and how often? Will it change how much and often if she’s not laying?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Ok, so I got the egg food. But how much should I give her and how often? Will it change how much and often if she’s not laying?
Either give its own bowl and I think unlimited until she stops laying eggs. If she wont eat it on its own mix it with her normal food.

Most Reactions

Latest posts