Lovebird strange head movement

marija_jazz

Apr 2, 2020
Hi, I hope that I'll find some answers. My lovebird recently started doing some strange head movements. This episodes always happen when he's sleepy, later in the day, before going to bed, or when wanting to take a nap.

He starts chirping, getting comfortable falling asleep, and suddenly he starts shaking head like trying to stay awake, then his head looks like dropping down and he sometimes hangs his beak to hold onto to the cage or other surface nearby. When I come close to him, he stops. After the episode, he either falls asleep if it's bedtime, or if it's too early, starts eating or continues with usual daily activities.

He's pretty active, his droppings are normal, his balance is good, feathers look normal too. I checked for vomiting, but I couldn't find visible signs of that.

There aren't any good bird vets in my country, they don't do tests, they just prescribe antibiotics if there are visible signs of sickness, so I wouldn't like to expose my lovebird to any unnecessary stress.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Is this something I should be worried about?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No experience with Lovebirds, but it is possible that you bird maybe doing little more than fighting off falling asleep. Common response with Birds and Humans.

OP
M

marija_jazz

Apr 2, 2020
No experience with Lovebirds, but it is possible that you bird maybe doing little more than fighting off falling asleep. Common response with Birds and Humans.

What do you mean by doing more? Some sort of illness or something hormonal? (I noticed him hanging pieces of paper around the cage and putting them in the water can). I filmed him and sent the video to a vet (the best one I could find hopefully), so I'm anxiously waiting for his opinion.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

What do you mean by doing more? Some sort of illness or something hormonal? (I noticed him hanging pieces of paper around the cage and putting them in the water can). I filmed him and sent the video to a vet (the best one I could find hopefully), so I'm anxiously waiting for his opinion.

The word usage is based around: The movement of your bird's head like that of a Human, which is resisting falling asleep. A quick movement of the head in an attempt to keep awake.

Most Reactions