Lovebird with weak leg

Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
I recently got a baby lovebird and I’ve noticed one of his legs is a little weaker than the other. Is there something I should do to help him strengthen it?

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Mashed,
I know there are many more experienced bird owners on this forum than me. I think providing more info might help:

1. age of bird
2. When did you notice lamenessAny other symptoms?
3. Picture of the affected leg and parrot stance
4. Vet input?

more info, the better! I have dealt with mild foot sprain that resolved in a day to congenital leg malrotation right now in some sun conure chicks.

wish you and your birby well!

OP
Mashed_Potato2021
Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Thank you for replying! I got him two days ago, and I noticed it yesterday. I’m not sure of his exact age but I’m sure he’s two months or under. A picture wouldn’t help cause it’s not visual thing is more like his grip isn’t as good and I didn’t know if I should do anything to help him get
It stronger.

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Mashed,
Most likely this is a foot sprain that occurred in the transition to a new home. These usually improve and resolve within a few days. If there is no improvement or worsening by tomorrow, definitely would want to consult an avian vet. Even with a sprain the birb should be eating and drinking normally. If this is not the case, vet care is also needed right away.

In the meantime, make sure food and water are easily accessible without having to climb. A fully weaned bird should not have weakness in any limbs.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts