Lovebird won't wean

jamberryblue

Feb 23, 2022
Parrots
Picasso the Quaker 2/12/11
Oliver the Parrotlet 2/27/14
Winston the Pied Peach Faced Lovebird 1/19/22
Hi all. I have 30+ years experience with owning and caring for birds, but this is my first time weaning. My family and I currently have Picasso the Quaker (10 years), Oliver the parrotlet (7 years) and Winston the lovebird (56 days). We started caring for Winston when he was 34 days old. He came to us on three feedings a day, which we continued. His breeder is no help (that's a whole other story). Yes, we weigh him at least once a day. HIs lowest flight weight is 43 grams.

Winston will not eat any soft foods. I have tried various small pieces of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, berries) and small pieces of spinach. Cooked rice, quinoa, eggs, etc. Nothing. He will nibble on rice krispies and millet, though he doesn't seem to be ingesting much if anything, as I never feel it in his crop. I've tried a few different softened pellets, which he also refuses. He seems to really like the taste of roudybush crumble and will nibble (beak?) those, but it's too hard for him to break up and ingest.

I feel like Winston just wants to snack on formula all day. He begs for it and acts like he's starving, but will only eat 1-4 ml first thing in the morning (between 8-9am), then will take another 4-6ml between 12-1pm) and it goes on like that until bedtime. I've tried to have him go longer stretches of time, but he 1. goes crazy in his cage non stop and 2. I worry he's not getting enough nutrition since he's refusing most other foods.

Winston is very healthy, happy, and loving. I just need him to eat other things besides formula. Have we missed the window by spoiling him as a result of worry? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hello Jam!

Well, do not force or decrease the amount and number of feedings per day. Keep offering pellets, fresh foods, and some seeds. Winston will get there.

I am currently going through the same with a developmentally delayed sun conure with rotational leg issues. She is 4.5 months old and is only now starting to pick at pellets in the morning. She only ate half her formula this morning and then ate pellets when back in her cage.

I had tried EVERYTHING before that: mushy pellets, pellets paste, feeding spoon, fruit smoothie, hand feeding solid food, veggies, seeds, culinary “tour” of her parents and other birds eating solid food. Turned out, all she just needs is time. ☺️

OP
jamberryblue

jamberryblue

Feb 23, 2022
Parrots
Picasso the Quaker 2/12/11
Oliver the Parrotlet 2/27/14
Winston the Pied Peach Faced Lovebird 1/19/22
Hello Jam!

Well, do not force or decrease the amount and number of feedings per day. Keep offering pellets, fresh foods, and some seeds. Winston will get there.

I am currently going through the same with a developmentally delayed sun conure with rotational leg issues. She is 4.5 months old and is only now starting to pick at pellets in the morning. She only ate half her formula this morning and then ate pellets when back in her cage.

I had tried EVERYTHING before that: mushy pellets, pellets paste, feeding spoon, fruit smoothie, hand feeding solid food, veggies, seeds, culinary “tour” of her parents and other birds eating solid food. Turned out, all she just needs is time. ☺️

@Beak-Beak-Kiss I'm here for the culinary tour! lol I've been doing the same thing with Winston. Thank you so much for your input. I did forget to mention I've been putting some smaller Higgins vita seeds in too. I just love my little picky pants. :D
ETA: bless your little sun conure's heart. Sounds like you've done an outstanding job with her. ♡

Most Reactions

Latest posts