Lovebirds and moving?

aqua.uniqueness

Mar 11, 2013
Hi there!

I have two lovebirds that are currently living in a friend's house:rainbow1:, as I'm away in school and can not take care of them due to a not friendly pet apartment. My school program involves me to go on and off of school every four months- which leaves me with a dilemma... I would love it if I could have them with me as I miss them so much but I don't want to impose stress on them if I'm moving every four months. If I do have them with me, and move every four months, do you think this is an absolutely awful idea? Will they die from the stress of it?

Thanks, any insight is greatly appreciated :):)

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
I don't think they would DIE from the stress of it, but certainly it would affect them as far as security goes, and if you are trying to breed them, that's not going to happen with constant moving. :/

My thinking is that maybe, if the cage stays the same and you are always there, it wouldn't be too horrible on them. Try to keep as much the same for them as possible. Like if they are usually kept with the sunlight coming in from the right side, do that in the new place, too. Maybe a partial cage cover would help as well, like covering the back and half of the sides of the cage, so that only the "front view" would change for them.
Try to keep the smells in each new place the same - clean with the same bird safe products, don't use anything new smelling.
I think all those things would go a long way towards keeping them feeling secure.

OP
A

aqua.uniqueness

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks so much for your reply Kara! I'm going to keep on trying to do research about this, because I would love to have them with me, but their safety definitely comes first... I'm not planning on breeding them- one of them is actually the offspring of the mother =P

Thanks again !!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I've taken my lovebird Kirby with me on trips, to hotels, to friends' houses, to appointments, to stores, to rehab's to visit relatives, to church even. He never batted an eye or stressed a moment from it. I realize each bird is different but parrots are so adaptable. I think they'd rather be with YOU, their known, their familiar, their security, than be worried about external circumstances. Your birds will travel with you fine. Good luck at school. Take your birds. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts