Lovebirds Breeding for first time

Leokuk

Oct 19, 2022
Hi
Ive got an aviary with a bunch of birds, all in seperate big cages instead of all together, and ive got a breeding pair of lovebirds (not tame) that have been going in their nest for a couple of weeks, so i waited a bit as not to disturb them because i dont want them to not go back in, but i checked today and theres 4 eggs in there, and the female went back into the nest after 5 mins.
So my question is, I want to candle the egss to see how many are fertile, hopefully one or two. But im scared that if i disturb them they wont go back into the nest. Do i leave them alone? Or can i candle the eggs?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It takes a few days for the embryo to develop and be easier to see. I would wait for at least a few days if not a week to candle the eggs. I’ve not bred lovebirds but I know finches abandon the nest more often if you mess with the eggs.

EinsteinsDad

Jan 14, 2023
Media
Parrots
8 lovebirds: Phoenix, Woodstock, Einstein, Lucky, Red, Snow White, Mango, and Sunshine.
I would wait a week, when we check our female's eggs she has no problem going back to them, that's our experience.

Most Reactions

Latest posts