Loving Cockatiel changed

LYNDYLU

May 20, 2022
Help! Our one year old tiel who loves being out of his cage and spending time with my hubby and myself.and it always very loving and sits on us has suddenly started acting agessive towards us and does want to come out of his cage or just sits on it. He is eating ok but when we approach him starts raising his beak and lunging. He has always been very loving. Any ideas? Is it his hormones and what can we do?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It does sound like it could be hormonal, and I know its difficult to see your baby change when it happens the first time. It will pass, and there really isn't a lot you can do to make it go faster other than remove anything nestlike. Fruits can also make them more hormonal, so when my birds are hormonal I cut back on the fruits until they're though it.
The good news is that you don't have to worry about egg-binding.
Your boy is beautiful:)

OP
LYNDYLU

LYNDYLU

May 20, 2022
Thank you so much. That helps a lot youve obviously experienced this before

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You're very welcome:)
It's never fun to watch them go through it, but the next time will be easier because you'll know what to expect:)
What's your gorgeous boy's name?

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Billy is beautiful and I agree with Terry57 that hormones are the culprit. Besides removing nest like materials from his cage, also shorten his amount of daylight. Now that the daylight hours are getting longer, the hormones are going to swing into full gear. Also, I know Billy is not wanting affection from you for now, but if you try to pet him, it will make him even more aggressive towards you. During hormone time, try not to pet or show any kind of affection.. Even when they are looking for it. It will only make them even more hormonal.

During Tango's hormone time, which is now, he is usually covered by 4pm. I also have moved him in another room of the house. Sometimes changing the environment will help lower the hormone levels.

OP
LYNDYLU

LYNDYLU

May 20, 2022
Billy is beautiful and I agree with Terry57 that hormones are the culprit. Besides removing nest like materials from his cage, also shorten his amount of daylight. Now that the daylight hours are getting longer, the hormones are going to swing into full gear. Also, I know Billy is not wanting affection from you for now, but if you try to pet him, it will make him even more aggressive towards you. During hormone time, try not to pet or show any kind of affection.. Even when they are looking for it. It will only make them even more hormonal.

During Tango's hormone time, which is now, he is usually covered by 4pm. I also have moved him in another room of the house. Sometimes changing the environment will help lower the hormone levels.
Thank you so much for that its upsetting when they seem to change from a loving affectionate bird who wants to be with us all the time to a bird who appears to suddenly hate us
and lunges as soon as we go near him. I am very grateful to both replies. So helpful. Thank you again.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Thank you so much for that its upsetting when they seem to change from a loving affectionate bird who wants to be with us all the time to a bird who appears to suddenly hate us
and lunges as soon as we go near him. I am very grateful to both replies. So helpful. Thank you again.
Your very welcome.

Most Reactions

Latest posts