Luci Has Settled In!

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, Goffin’s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
In January, I adopted two birds from a member, a mustached parakeet and a Goffin’s. It’s taken work and time, but they’ve both settled in quite well.

Luci, short for Lucifer (as anyone with a Goffin’s can relate [emoji38]), has come a long way. He actually re-pierced my ear in one place and made new piercings in others; he hated my husband and 5 year old son; he tolerated my 3 year old daughter... he loves everyone now (well, tolerates everyone), but has taken such a liking to my husband [emoji1665]

He dive-bombed my husband from one week post-adoption forward. It was getting to be a problem. I couldn’t let them free range at the same time! I never thought I’d clip wings on any bird, but after lots of research and inflection, I decided we would try it once.

Now, Luci loves my husband more than me!! He still likes me, but my husband is his favorite person. He grooms him, he prefers his shoulder, essentially, he has selected his human and it is not me. Which is fine! If he’s happy, and my husband isn’t being attacked, I’M happy!

Tink, our mustached parakeet, settled right in. She tolerates everyone, perches on any shoulders, and ignores any fingers trying to scritch her. Luci was the real struggle.

Sooo happy this little bugger has settled in [emoji1665] can’t wait for his wings to grow out again so he can fly with the flock!
80813028585e51a959025ef7208d9c01.jpg

Loki - Sun Conure [emoji169]
Clover - Lineolated Parakeet [emoji172]

Last edited:
OP
catastrophe

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, Goffin’s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
And for those wondering about Tink, she’s just as mischievous as Luci (she tries to steal my earrings!!) [emoji24][emoji81]
297cbb50f005be9c74e3e29b08dd51d2.jpg

Lucifer (Luci) - Goffin’s Cockatoo 🤍
Tink - Mustached Parakeet [emoji172]

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Love this update, you have all done so well! One-time wing clippings can work wonders with bratty behavior. Chances are good Luci's feathers will regrow and with no regression.

OP
catastrophe

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Love this update, you have all done so well! One-time wing clippings can work wonders with bratty behavior. Chances are good Luci's feathers will regrow and with no regression.

[mention]Scott [/mention] I was hesitant to do it, but it has changed his relationship with my husband significantly and for the better, so I’m glad we tried it. I’m excited for him to follow me around the house again, and hopeful for no regression!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

If you desire some validation....

My closest bonded Goffins "Gabby" went through a horrible molt and series of tantrums. I could barely handle this incredibly sweet hand-fed bird! Took her to the CAV for investigation of potential medical basis. All clear, but the vet suggested a one-time clip. I was conflicted but implicitly trusted his advice. Clipping worked like a charm, and our relationship returned to life long bliss.

OP
catastrophe

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
I don’t think I’d hesitate again to clip in a similar situation (barring medical causes, as you mentioned). I’m glad Gabby grew out of her tantrum stage! I’m relieved I can let my husband and Luci out at the same time now [emoji38] My husband was running a site that required nights only, so Luci was out any time my husband was asleep or at work, but he had three-day weekends so it became difficult to squeeze in as much out of cage time those days.
Now, I’m going to start harness training for everyone so we can go outside for walks, etc. Hoping it goes as smoothly as the attitude adjustment!

derekdylan7

Jun 2, 2020
Media
nr Peterborough, UK.
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo
Love to see that Luci Goffin on your shoulder and good he likes you both ! Harness training sounds interesting...so...What's involved ? Is that common practice in the US ?

OP
catastrophe

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
[mention]derekdylan7 [/mention] I haven’t tried it before, but I guess I think of it as desensitization toward the harness first, just getting him comfortable to its presence. Then, I’ll try maybe draping it on him, and more further toward actually putting it on him. I’ll use target/clicker training, as I have experience with it from training our dogs (and a cat, once!), and it has worked well so far. I know there is a channel on YouTube that has a lot of tips on target training parrots, but I can never remember what it’s called! I wouldn’t say it’s common in the States, but I also wouldn’t say it’s terribly uncommon, either.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Love to see that Luci Goffin on your shoulder and good he likes you both ! Harness training sounds interesting...so...What's involved ? Is that common practice in the US ?

[mention]derekdylan7 [/mention] I haven’t tried it before, but I guess I think of it as desensitization toward the harness first, just getting him comfortable to its presence. Then, I’ll try maybe draping it on him, and more further toward actually putting it on him. I’ll use target/clicker training, as I have experience with it from training our dogs (and a cat, once!), and it has worked well so far. I know there is a channel on YouTube that has a lot of tips on target training parrots, but I can never remember what it’s called! I wouldn’t say it’s common in the States, but I also wouldn’t say it’s terribly uncommon, either.

Lucifer (Luci) - Goffin’s Cockatoo ��

There are harness-training threads throughout the forum; some birds never successfully acclimate. I'd love to give it a try, but the skies in my locale are filled with aggressive raptors and my smallish parrots would not stand a chance. :(

OP
catastrophe

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
There are harness-training threads throughout the forum; some birds never successfully acclimate. I'd love to give it a try, but the skies in my locale are filled with aggressive raptors and my smallish parrots would not stand a chance. :(

Fortunately, we aren’t terribly plagued by raptors, but they are around. They’re more of a concern for our chickens, so they’re in a pretty secure coop and run. We did have a hawk on the neighborhood for a while when the city was redoing the parking area at the nearby nature preserve, but it seems to have moved on. I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable with Luci on a harness once his flight feathers have grown back in, which I didn’t consider until now... thanks for planting that thought, because I’ll have to do some serious considering before attempting! I don’t think it would be worth putting him through the training if we weren’t going to use it often and forever, essentially.

Most Reactions

Latest posts