Luna might be sick?

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
I'm still unsure but I noticed Luna was breathing heavily this morning. Her poops have been watery. She wasn't excited when I was measuring out her pellets. She's been eating and playing normally.

For now, I'm keeping an eye on her since it's only been about 6 hrs. I'm heating up the room more.

Should I go to the vet? Money is tight this month but if I have to, I'll figure something out.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Difficulty in breathing is something that needs to be checked out right away.

I don't know how old your bird is but difficulty in breathing and watery stool could indicate egg bind and that can be fatal. If she is only months old that should not be the issue.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Definitely recommend getting the bird to a vet ASAP!! Hard breathing is not good and bird doesn't have much time.

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
@texsize

I'm unsure if it's difficulty in breathing. Her tail wasn't moving and her mouth wasn't open, but I could notice that she was breathing. If that makes sense, I'm really unsure how to explain it.
I feel like my wording probably gave a different picture than what she was doing.

She's about 6 months old.

Her vent looks clean, I've just checked it.

Last edited:
OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
According to my husband, she has had some solid poops today so maybe I've just been worrying about it too much. I'm going to keep an eye on her still.

I haven't constantly noticed her breathing. I just recall twice today I could see that she was breathing. Not labored but her chest was rising and falling.

I'm still concerned because she didn't finish all of her food today.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
According to my husband, she has had some solid poops today so maybe I've just been worrying about it too much. I'm going to keep an eye on her still.

I haven't constantly noticed her breathing. I just recall twice today I could see that she was breathing. Not labored but her chest was rising and falling.

I'm still concerned because she didn't finish all of her food today.

I know that you are an experienced parront munami and will keep a good eye on her. Something very basic here but at 6 months are you introducing new foods? Could something have upset her tummy? Are you keeping a food diary as you introduce new food items? My Ellie is so particular being and Eclectus that I tend to focus on 'food/ingested' items first I guess. (poop focus)

You are well aware of environmental hazards as I have read in some of your posts. Just do a mental checklist of even the most elemental things...did anyone come into the home wearing perfume, new deodorant, new stove or appliance (burn off)??? (respiratory focus).

Last edited:
OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
@Ellie777Australia

I haven't introduced any new food items but I've given her constant access to dehydrated veggies. She has eaten them before. She still has fresh veggies in the morning. I have a food diary but it doesn't have enough specifics. It just lists how much of each category I offered.

You make a very good point though so I will make sure to expand on my food diary. I'll remove the dehydrated veggies for now and see if there's any difference.

A new person has been in our house but she hasn't been in our room at all today. She was last week near her though.

Thank you so much everyone.

Last edited:

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
@Ellie777Australia

I haven't introduced any new food items but I've given her constant access to dehydrated veggies. She has eaten them before. She still has fresh veggies in the morning. I have a food diary but it doesn't have enough specifics. It just lists how much of each category I offered.

You make a very good point though so I will make sure to expand on my food diary. I'll remove the dehydrated veggies for now and see if there's any difference.

A new person has been in our house but she hasn't been in our room at all today. She was last week near her though.

Thank you so much everyone.

Thanks munami....glad to hear that you are removing dehydrated veggies for the moment. Was there a variety of veggies? Are you able to introduce one of each type using the 'fresh' version daily and take notes? Are you re-hydrating the dehydrated vegetables before serving (birds get alot of water from fresh fruits and veggies so thinking of overall hydration status of Luna)?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Could it be that you are just catching her after flying/flapping her wings in her cage or heavy play time. Both things can cause a Cockatiel to breath a little hard for a while

at 6 months egg bind wont be an issue.

I know my amazons will go long periods of time without drinking water, then they drink and drink and drink. this naturally leads to very wet poops alternating with more solid looking poops most of the time.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
My cockatiel Pepper does breath hard after flying around room, but vet did tell me he was a little over weight around chest area and likely the reason, but he is bigger then the others. Thankfully it did take a while of flying and out of cage time but he did dropped to normal weight right under a 100 grams. They clipped him when I received him, so he needed the exercise to get back in shape pretty much.

Yes flying will cause heavy breathing and watery poo as they don't drink water till back in cage, or on tree stand and then take a few drinks. Then poo back to normal. Watery poo maybe normal if they are slightly dehydrated from strenuous activities, such as flying. My U2's usually even Droop wings when exhausted, or overheating which they fly back to bench then I mist them as here can get up to the 90's outside in the summer, or I bring them inside to cool down for a while and give them some water to drink.

If it all the time she breathing hard and can hear it, get her to a vet. My Cooper umbrella cockatoo had issue with breathing and sneeze and wheeze turn out to be a upper respiratory tract infection and he also had a yeast infection as well when they did a few tests. Thankfully noticed it on the first day of getting him as notice he was breathing much louder then my other U2 one nare was pretty much closed. So ran him over to the vet and after treating him, he was better after about 3 days showed improvement and a week breathing normally and nare now wide open.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
@texsize

I'm unsure if it's difficulty in breathing. Her tail wasn't moving and her mouth wasn't open, but I could notice that she was breathing. If that makes sense, I'm really unsure how to explain it.
I feel like my wording probably gave a different picture than what she was doing.

She's about 6 months old.

Her vent looks clean, I've just checked it.
So likely not egg binding if vent area is normal, not enlarged, or red and 6 months more likely not a issue.

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
@Ellie777Australia
There was a variety of veggies. I'm using Christine's Chop Shop chop mix.
https://christineschopshop.com/products/soak-and-serve-chop-large-yeilds-4-5-cups

I normally give her a portion of rehydrated veggies and then sometimes some dehydrated ones during the day. I can identify most of the veggies in there. She eats a little of everything but tends to favor the peas, celery, corn, and sweet potato. She usually leaves dried cranberries but I'm not really concerned about that.

@texsize @ParrotGenie
You guys might be right! Now that I'm thinking about it, the first time I saw her doing it was when I came back to the room and she went scrambling to the door. The next time is when she was playing on her play gym.

She has been flying a lot today, she normally doesn't do it as much.

Her nares seem clean and she doesn't do it all the time. It might just be me being paranoid like I usually am @ w @

I'm still gonna change her diet back to how it was before and see how it goes.

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
She seems fine this morning! She had two big non watery poops and I didn't notice the breathing again. I'm unsure if it was actually any sort of sickness but as long as she's alright.

Thank you guys so much! I definitely think I'd be stressing out so much more if you guys weren't here to help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts