Macaw has stopped Mimicking

Anicas_Macaw

Aug 31, 2019
Ottawa, Ontario
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
My parents got a macaw when I was about 8. His name his Jeffery and we arenā€™t exactly sure of his age but we were told he was around 20 at the time. My parents got divorced and after all the kids moved out my mom stopped caring for him almost almtogether. He didnā€™t get any time out of his cage, no face time. He was not getting the proper nutrients or fresh water and he became depressed and his beak over grew. When I realized this i took him to my place and he as been here for about 6 months now. We take him to the vet about once a month to get his beak trimmed and he is so much happier! He has transformed into a completely different, happier bird. My concern is that he used to mimic all sorts of words, sounds and phrases... and he doesnā€™t anymore. Iā€™m wondering if this is because he just doesnā€™t:blue::blue: want to, Maybe itā€™s normal? My mom has said he had fallen out of an apple tree and Iā€™m starting to worry it could be a symptom of something worse? Iā€™ll bring it up to the vet as well the next time I see her, I was thinking at first Iā€™d just give him some time to get adjusted and I was mainly focused on making sure he was happy here.. but I was just wondering if this is a normal macaw trait? Thanks so much in advance!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thank you for taking this sweet boy into your home!

Behavior changes can be a symptom of mental or physical challenges, be it depression, or lack of health. You get his beak trimmed but have you donā€™t a complete ohysical, bloodwork and all? If not, you really should do that if the neglect you describe was described accurately. Poor health and depression could absolutely contribute to this lack of vocalization.

And give it time. Itā€™s only been a couple months, and with monthly beak trims (which sounds excessive to me?) Heā€™s repeatedly exposed to reasons to not trust you yet. Thereā€™s always an adjustment period and for some it can be over a year before trust is fully earned in a new home.

OP
Anicas_Macaw

Anicas_Macaw

Aug 31, 2019
Ottawa, Ontario
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
We have another appointment coming up so Iā€™ll get blood work done, he did have a physical and he is in great physical condition.. other than his beak.
His beak over grew to the point that it was touching his chest, and the bottom was sticking out the left side, so we have been slowing grinding it down little at a time. Since coming into our home he has made great personality and trust progress. At first he did not let anyone touch him any where but the top of his head... now he is snuggly, and play fights, he doesnā€™t bite and letā€™s us touch him everywhere.. He preens himself and sharpens his beak on the stuff we have in his cage, so I think we have almost gotten him to where he is living his best life. Thanks for the tip! Iā€™ll for sure ask for some blood work to be done!

Most Reactions