Macaw over preeening and shredding feathers

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
Green winged macaw (2 years old) Named Zack
I went to see a vet too
He said nutrition is the problem so he gave him Nekton S ..he rejected vitamins in Water so I added them to his Boiled rice and he ate without any problem
He's so picky and avoids fresh fruits and veggies,even Lafeber pellets ...I can't change his habits
Now he seems so passionate about his feathers and is always preening them...it has been months that I'm noticing that his feathers are not that clean and healthy...they look shredded and broken and so messy...
I noticed these on newspaper when I was cleaning him
Attaching file
Please give me tips how to make him stop over preening
And about attention...he is with me all day long...he even gets to play outside his cage but he likes his own territory and hates toys

Attachments

• 20220917_112500.jpg
    20220917_112500.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220916_132737.jpg
    20220916_132737.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 68

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Bathing opportunities.
Preening toys, or toys that can be chewed and picked at and destroyed.
Making sure your bird is not anxious or bored. If he is anxious working to resolve that with reassurance, petting time, responding quietly to contact calls. More toys, tv, time out if he is bored.

My Quaker overpreened when he first came to live with me. He was quite anxious. He really really enjoys licking and grooming me and manipulating his toys. Does your macaw perhaps need more hands-on time? You could hold him on your shoulder, knee or hand while you watch tv, surf the net, or read the paper.
And scratch his neck or head while you do those things.

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
Bathing opportunities.
Preening toys, or toys that can be chewed and picked at and destroyed.
Making sure your bird is not anxious or bored. If he is anxious working to resolve that with reassurance, petting time, responding quietly to contact calls. More toys, tv, time out if he is bored.

My Quaker overpreened when he first came to live with me. He was quite anxious. He really really enjoys licking and grooming me and manipulating his toys. Does your macaw perhaps need more hands-on time? You could hold him on your shoulder, knee or hand while you watch tv, surf the net, or read the paper.
And scratch his neck or head while you do those things.
Hi thanks for replying
Yes I literally spend all day with him in his room whether he's inside cage or outside cage
I preen him and he enjoys head scratches too...but whenever I scratch his head and neck he starts to preen himself again lol
It seems like it's an entertainment for him...he's avoiding TV too...

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My parrot started destroying feathers when he had a skin infection before I got him, but now it's a habit. I'm glad you took your macaw to the vet in case he had something going on. Keep trying to offer veggies and fruits - it takes my bird lots of tries before he decides he likes something :) And chopped up into his food, left in chunks, offered whole - I try all of it over and over.

So far the only thing that's kept my parrot chewing something besides his feathers is giving him something else to chew on.

It took me a couple months of trying lots of different things to find what he likes to play with and chew. You might try different types of wood, and whole veggies, and nuts in the shell. You can try to make little foraging puzzles - stick some of his food inside a piece of paper and crumple it up so that he has to get it open. That sort of thing.

Maybe try giving him places he can climb around - the sanctuary where I volunteer has branches hung, with different types of toys their macaw likes. He spends a lot of time just climbing around, moving toys around, and being cute :)

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
My macaw prefers dehydrated or freeze dried fruit and veggies over fresh. Have you tried banana chips or dehydrated apples?

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
Yes
My macaw prefers dehydrated or freeze dried fruit and veggies over fresh. Have you tried banana chips or dehydrated apples?
Yes ...
I've made apple chips and banana chips
He threw them away
He's way too picky...today I added Prime vitamin powder to his Boiled rice (Vet suggested it) ,he literally threw the bowl because of the smell .I'm just so worried...I keep on thinking day and night about my baby

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
I've bought toys for him .he was so scared of Piniata that he stopped even speaking to me
I gave him steel spoons to play but the problem persists
My parrot started destroying feathers when he had a skin infection before I got him, but now it's a habit. I'm glad you took your macaw to the vet in case he had something going on. Keep trying to offer veggies and fruits - it takes my bird lots of tries before he decides he likes something :) And chopped up into his food, left in chunks, offered whole - I try all of it over and over.

So far the only thing that's kept my parrot chewing something besides his feathers is giving him something else to chew on.

It took me a couple months of trying lots of different things to find what he likes to play with and chew. You might try different types of wood, and whole veggies, and nuts in the shell. You can try to make little foraging puzzles - stick some of his food inside a piece of paper and crumple it up so that he has to get it open. That sort of thing.

Maybe try giving him places he can climb around - the sanctuary where I volunteer has branches hung, with different types of toys their macaw likes. He spends a lot of time just climbing around, moving toys around, and being cute :)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I've bought toys for him .he was so scared of Piniata that he stopped even speaking to me
I gave him steel spoons to play but the problem persists
since parrots are prey animals they may take a long time to get used to new toys. I've literally had to place some toys near Hahnzels cage for up to a month before she considered it not a threat. One thing I have for her now, since she also overpreens, is a stainless steel basket that I fill with shredded paper and wood blocks. Then I wrap Nutri-berries in paper towels and hide them in there. I began with 4 berries and no empties, now I'm down to 2 berries and 3 dummy wraps. This seems to keep her busy and her feathers look better.

Most Reactions