Macaw wall help

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
Im building Bogie a play area on a wall about 9'. I have sliced circles of wood to screw in perch branches. I have two questions of help. One, id like to secure feeding bowls so he don't dump and two, what can I line my wall with to protect it? I was thinking untreated pickets? Thanks guys...its for Christmas!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
They make feeding bowls, in stainless steel, that rotate and lock in, just look around on line. Pretty easy to secure to a wall too. Me- I'd take 2' x 4' sheets of aluminum or other sheet metal and contact glue them to the wall. Bogie won't be too interested in these, if at all, but wood pickets? He'll go right thru those and then your wall!. If you can even find un-treated pickets.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The aluminum panels are a great idea. May want to consider screwing them into the wall studs to allow easier removal at some point in the future. Regarding the wall studs, those become very important when one consider a Mac landing, climbing, resting, eating and flying from the wall play areas. Think seriously about attachment screw /bolts, which will likely require pre-drilling into the wall studs.

Have fun with this!! You Mac is going to love it!!

FYI: Buy a Stud Finder at your local Hardware or Big Box Store!!

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
They make feeding bowls, in stainless steel, that rotate and lock in, just look around on line. Pretty easy to secure to a wall too. Me- I'd take 2' x 4' sheets of aluminum or other sheet metal and contact glue them to the wall. Bogie won't be too interested in these, if at all, but wood pickets? He'll go right thru those and then your wall!. If you can even find un-treated pickets.
I found n got the bowels thanks. Looking at sheet metal ideas. Im thinking of ceiling grids w spacers now......from the wall and ceiling.

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
The aluminum panels are a great idea. May want to consider screwing them into the wall studs to allow easier removal at some point in the future. Regarding the wall studs, those become very important when one consider a Mac landing, climbing, resting, eating and flying from the wall play areas. Think seriously about attachment screw /bolts, which will likely require pre-drilling into the wall studs.

Have fun with this!! You Mac is going to love it!!

FYI: Buy a Stud Finder at your local Hardware or Big Box Store!!
Yep just got a stud finder and thinking of doing wall grids w spacers n on the ceiling too. Thank you.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yep just got a stud finder and thinking of doing wall grids w spacers n on the ceiling too. Thank you.

I'm so excited to see this, your Mac is going to absolutely love it!
If it's not too much trouble, please share pics as you go- this could be so beneficial for a lot of people!
I'd like to do something like that myself on a smaller scale.

Most Reactions

Latest posts