Magnet test for stainless not conclusive

Sheryl

Apr 1, 2014
Seabrook, Texas
Parrots
Beeper CAG, Maui Lu B&G, Mi Hijo GW
and Bergie my little BFA in Rainbow Bridge
I posted something that I just found out was not entirely accurate and wanted to correct it. Stainless steel can sometimes have magnetic properties and so the magnet test is not conclusive.

Safe Metals For Parrots

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Its the grade of stainless steel that affects if the magnet works or not. Long story, my history and experience with stainless steel, but working in the field of cleanroom design / construction, we would use the magnet as a random S/S test. For the purposes of s/s for a pharmaceutical application in construction, the stainless steel needs to be higher quality, so if it magnet stuck, the stainless steel was rejected.

But for purposes of bird toys and such, the amount of chromium I'm sure varies. Keep in mind stainless steel is actually not a single metal, but an alloy of metals. If memory serves, Grade 400 stainless steel has no nickel and the combo of steel and chromium does result in a magnetic alloy.

OP
Sheryl

Sheryl

Apr 1, 2014
Seabrook, Texas
Parrots
Beeper CAG, Maui Lu B&G, Mi Hijo GW
and Bergie my little BFA in Rainbow Bridge
Is there any way to know if the metal on a toy is stainless?

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
You can try the magnet test, but my guess is that toys are not made with a very high grade of S/S unless its specifically sold as S/S such as the special bells you can purchase.

Another thought is that S/S does not rust... but there is no real visual inspection you can do. You can usually tell when a metal is definitely not s/s, has a rougher feel or appearance. But when its a cheaper S/S or any shiny metal it can be a toss up when you are at the store shopping...

Most Reactions