May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Emergency plans are incredibly important for all animals and people. Knowing exactly what to do when disaster strikes can be the difference between life and death for your birds. I present to you, how to make an emergency plan.

1. Have an emergency plan for all types of scenarios, but the main scenarios you will probably encounter would be evacuation (fires, floods etc.) and lockdown (tornados, bad storms etc.).

2. Save as many as you can. Why use a bird cage for only your birds if you can also use it for your turtle and toad (in my case). The point is to fit as many animals as you can in one enclosure.

3. Prioritize. Which animals are most important to you? These animals should be your first priority. Of course, all animals matter, but you probably won't be able to get them all out in a fire (example). You will, unfortunately, need to prioritize some animals over others. Aquatics, for example, may be harder to get out than land animals. They also have a much greater chance of surviving, as they are in water (which suffocates fire). The only concerns would be glass breaking or the water getting too hot, but you may have to risk it.

4. Write out your plan and put it in an area where all members of the family can see. Make sure there are plans in bedrooms and the main room of the house. Make sure to also communicate about who will get what out an how.

Happy plan making!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Great thread!
There were fires not too far from us a few years ago, and we got pillowcases for all our birds, our rescue does this as well. That way you can use the pillowcase to quickly get your bird out of the cage and move on to the next one. They won't be comfortable, but they will be alive. This link explains the process.
It would be impossible to get as many birds as I have out in carriers so this is a good alternative.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Great thread!
There were fires not too far from us a few years ago, and we got pillowcases for all our birds, our rescue does this as well. That way you can use the pillowcase to quickly get your bird out of the cage and move on to the next one. They won't be comfortable, but they will be alive. This link explains the process.
It would be impossible to get as many birds as I have out in carriers so this is a good alternative.
Thank you! I have seen the pillowcase method, but didn't mention it because I forgot! Thanks for the reminder.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you for raising awareness, best to plan rather than last minute panic. (there'll be plenty of that but at least your mind worked through the basics)

I purchased a dedicated old van and fully equipped with carriers, food, water, various accoutrements necessary for lengthy absence from home. Plan sprang to life during awful SoCal fires of 2007. Thankfully had nearly one day advance notice for mandatory evac, successfully extricated all 13 parrots, 3 dogs, 2 cats and returned safely. Spent 5 days with friends who graciously opened their home to my menagerie! Honestly, the notion of minimal-notice middle of night evac makes me break out in cold sweat.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you for raising awareness, best to plan rather than last minute panic. (there'll be plenty of that but at least your mind worked through the basics)

I purchased a dedicated old van and fully equipped with carriers, food, water, various accoutrements necessary for lengthy absence from home. Plan sprang to life during awful SoCal fires of 2007. Thankfully had nearly one day advance notice for mandatory evac, successfully extricated all 13 parrots, 3 dogs, 2 cats and returned safely. Spent 5 days with friends who graciously opened their home to my menagerie! Honestly, the notion of minimal-notice middle of night evac makes me break out in cold sweat.
Glad they're safe, that sounds scary!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have long had a 5-minute plan in place and abide by it!! Our vehicles are preloaded with medical and evaluation kits that are inside of our Parrot's carrier. Important documents are prepositioned for quick movement as are the laptops.

We leave on time or ahead of time. The goal is to leave ahead of the crowd. The route is dependent on incoming direction of the problem. We have three directions preplanned with targeted places to stay locked in.

A plan means nothing unless you practice it!!
A slow plan will fail in quickly changing environments!
Set a maximum time period in which you must leave, keep it short and stay with it, even if you believe you have more time. As others will be leaving ahead of you and will be in front of you!
Leave early and live!!.

Most Reactions