Make the same noise back to your bird

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have a game that I play with my birds but especially with Jasper. He makes a few whistles in sequence and I make the same sounds back to him. Kind of like that simple Simon game from the 80s.

I canā€™t make the calls sound exactly the same, but I can imitate the pitch of the call. (If itā€™s a very upset noise I donā€™t make that.) Jasper seems to like this and we can repeat this for at least a few cycles.

Do any of you play this game with your parrots?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ah yeah, Kirby loves it if I whistle back to him. If I change it up too sometimes heā€™ll imitate me.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Yes, I do it with Zenek too! He whistles and waits for me to repeat and then he whistles again, when he changes the sound, I change it too and we do it until one of us gets bored:p

Sometimes I "chirp" after bourkes but their voice is too hard to repeat, so I do it only by saying "chirp"

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only person doing this. I sometimes worry because I donā€™t know what Iā€™m ā€œsayingā€ but as long as I donā€™t make upset noises back it seems ok. I do the same with Willow but not as much because he doesnā€™t have so much variety in his calls. Jasper changes up the pitch.

When you are auditioning for a chorus you have to sing back triads played on a piano. Thatā€™s what this feels like to me.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton has a beep that sounds like "hel-lo" and we'll do it back and forth for a while :)

I can't mimicks Opie's squeaks very well but pretty much anything I say to him he'll start chatting back ;)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I do that with my guys all the time. No doubt they chat amongst themselves when I'm not there and get a chuckle over what they taught ME to say šŸ¤£

Tucker does like to do whatever click, boop, etc. noise that strikes his fancy at the time, and repeats a bunch of times. Then it's game on. I have to make the sound back to him the same number of times, so it requires my full attention to count how many. He gets visibly upset if I get it wrong and repeats until I get it right, then he'll do it a different number. It's hard to keep up because he's fast, and the number is generally between 5 and 15, sometimes more. The game usually goes on for about 10 solid minutes before he gets tired of my mistakes lol!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wow! So you guys do counting games with your birds? Thatā€™s so interesting!

Makes me wish I had a giant aviary and a whole bunch of budgies (or Quakers) that I could watch. (And mess with their heads occasionally.)

Most Reactions