Male has died! 3 week old babies only have mom what do I do?!

Hannah21

Mar 20, 2023
Parrots
Parakeets
💔😢I need advice: Our pair had their first clutch. Babies are a few days older than 3 weeks old. However dad died unexpectedly this morning, we are heartbroken. Will the hen feed the babies still? She isn’t sitting with them as much is that normal for this age? I’ve seen her go in and immediately leave how do I know she’s still taking care of them? How often are babies this age being fed? What do I need to lookout for and should I prepare for hand feeding??

As for the male, there has been no change in diet they eat a varied diet of chop and seed have mineral block cattle bones vitamins in the or water calcium supplement in food for the chicks. No aerosol sprays no frying pans they stay in their own room they have a space heater, natural window light a uv light. He was only 3 years old. We are so sad to have lost our sweet goofy blu so unexpectedly 😭

C9868D67-E046-4ECC-BCE4-42AC1FA38201.png

Attachments

• 5B734FF6-323F-423E-99C7-300D3DF56A7F.jpeg
    5B734FF6-323F-423E-99C7-300D3DF56A7F.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 27

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
💔😢I need advice: Our pair had their first clutch. Babies are a few days older than 3 weeks old. However dad died unexpectedly this morning, we are heartbroken. Will the hen feed the babies still? She isn’t sitting with them as much is that normal for this age? I’ve seen her go in and immediately leave how do I know she’s still taking care of them? How often are babies this age being fed? What do I need to lookout for and should I prepare for hand feeding??

As for the male, there has been no change in diet they eat a varied diet of chop and seed have mineral block cattle bones vitamins in the or water calcium supplement in food for the chicks. No aerosol sprays no frying pans they stay in their own room they have a space heater, natural window light a uv light. He was only 3 years old. We are so sad to have lost our sweet goofy blu so unexpectedly 😭

View attachment 48514
Awww how cute! Mama doesn't sit on them much when they are this old because they don't need her body warmth. She should continue to feed them without the male but I'd buy some handfeeding formula right away in case she isn't feeding them. You can easily take over at this age.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Awww how cute! Mama doesn't sit on them much when they are this old because they don't need her body warmth. She should continue to feed them without the male but I'd buy some handfeeding formula right away in case she isn't feeding them. You can easily take over at this age.
Follow the instructions on the hand feeding formula. I'd use a spoon instead of a syringe because it's too easy to squirt the food too fast and choke them. Their crops should be full and mama should feed them when they cry. If she isn't, take them out one at a time and feed them the formula (temp measured at about 100 Fahrenheit). If you heat it with a microwave MIX WELL before measuring temp and feeding to avoid hot spots. Over 107 degrees is too hot and can burn the crop. They will only take as much formula as they need them they will stop. Under 95 degrees is too cool and cold formula can cause sour crop. Without food for a day they will weaken and die.
They will do fine if you're on top of it.
Sorry Dad bird died. It happens unfortunately no fault of your own. Best of luck with your babies!

Most Reactions

Latest posts