male or female to get?

giogio10

Mar 18, 2022
Hi,

I have a 7 months Illiger Macaw (male) and I am in the process of getting a Blue Throated Macaw. They will obviously live in separate cages. In the medium term they will be out of the cage at the same time with me and I was wondering if it is better to have a female BTM given the illiger is male. Curious to hear your opinion.

thanks

Gio

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
IMHO: One is better off with same sex as there is rarely the pressure of having different sexes. Hormonal Season can be be difficult regardless as both sexes can be aggressive that time of year. Parrots of this size tend to need to be out of a cage far more than a few hours each day.

Assure that you have these expensive Parrots Microchipped as large Mac's are a target for those stealing Parrots!

OP
G

giogio10

Mar 18, 2022
IMHO: One is better off with same sex as there is rarely the pressure of having different sexes. Hormonal Season can be be difficult regardless as both sexes can be aggressive that time of year. Parrots of this size tend to need to be out of a cage far more than a few hours each day.

Assure that you have these expensive Parrots Microchipped as large Mac's are a target for those stealing Parrots!
thanks for the precious advice!

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
"Rosemary" Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus)
Hi,

I have a 7 months Illiger Macaw (male) and I am in the process of getting a Blue Throated Macaw. They will obviously live in separate cages. In the medium term they will be out of the cage at the same time with me and I was wondering if it is better to have a female BTM given the illiger is male. Curious to hear your opinion.

thanks

Gio
Oh nice a Blue Throated! I live not far from the few that are left in the wild live! Sorry don't have any helpful advice on your question though.

Most Reactions