Male or female

Rjrj

Nov 16, 2020
Boy or girl

Hello everyone,

My family recently got these two parakeets. I'm having a hard time figuring out if they are males or females. The blue one looks like a male but not sure about the yellow. If anyone can help it'll be much appreciated. Btw, they are both, we are told, about 4 - 5 months old.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG-20201116-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20201116-WA0016.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-20201116-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20201116-WA0017.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20201116-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20201116-WA0018.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
It is hard to tell due to their very young age, and also the photos are not the clearest. I would say the opposite from Litteredbeak, though. Your blue has a whitish around the nostril cere with light blue around the bottom which is more likely to develop into a female. A male's would be more pinkish/purplish at this age, more like your yellow's. The yellow, however, is a color type where the male will never have a blue(or when young, never purplish)cere. It will stay pink for the bird's life if male. The nostril area looks whitish on your yellow one as well, which could mean girl, but the colors who don't devolop a blue cere also don't tend to be bright pink in youth-they are notoriously difficult to sex. So, due to the relatively deep looking pink hue on your yellow bird's cere, I think young boy.

Give it a few months, but I am fairly sure the blue is a hen. The yellow I am less confident on, but vote potential boy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts