Mango's growing his flight feathers!

animalgirl555

Dec 28, 2023
Parrots
Mango
I got Mango, my lovebird with his wings clipped. Now, because it's spring, he is molting, and he has exactly one flight feather (one of the longest ones) grown in. I hear you have to teach your bird to fly (?).
I know he still has a while before all of his feathers grow, but how would I go about "teaching" him to fly?
(Also, is it just me, or do you collect all the little feathers your parrot drops, and put them in a little jar :))
Thanks!

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
I got Mango, my lovebird with his wings clipped. Now, because it's spring, he is molting, and he has exactly one flight feather (one of the longest ones) grown in. I hear you have to teach your bird to fly (?).
I know he still has a while before all of his feathers grow, but how would I go about "teaching" him to fly?
(Also, is it just me, or do you collect all the little feathers your parrot drops, and put them in a little jar :))
Thanks!
The ability to fly is there, if you are patient and willing to teach them. I recommend you place your parrot on their perch, and stand a short distance from the perch, with your hands outstretched, encouraging them to jump onto your hand by calling, “Come” or by using their name. Encourage them with their favorite treats and gradually increase the distance between you and your bird. Over time he will want to come to you and start flying.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I hear you have to teach your bird to fly (?).
Where did you get that information?
I strongly disagree with that. It amazes me how they already know how to fly, it comes natural to them and they just get better with more practice and more flight feathers

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
I brought Phoenix home at 17weeks old. The Bird shop had him clipped, didn't want baby birds flying all over the store.
20190816_122746.jpg

His first molt and new flight feathers grew in. Within days he could dogfight with the best of what Topgun has to offer.
20200913_113604.jpg

As seen here, he liked to be Top flight security. Would land there on the curtains and watch for anything to come by and give very audible warning when anything did.
20200803_185058.jpg

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
WoW I love that second picture, Phoenix has the shape of a fighter jet

Most Reactions