Mango’s tail (conure)

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
Green checked conure, pineapple variation.
Hey everyone!
You guys said it’s ok to ask so here I go 😬🦜
So my human is worried about my tail, see the broken feathers?! When I came to her on Monday, I already had them like this. I tried to explain to her what happened but she doesn’t speak Spanish 🤣🦜.
Can someone please tell her what could be the reason and if there’s anything she can do to help me?

Thank y’all in advance.
Love 🫶🏻, Mango 🦜

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 75

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Babies can be very rough on their feathers whole they learn to look after them better , expecially if the cage is on the smaller side. Dont worry , as you get older youll learn to look after them better usually by the time the old feathers have moulted and regrown new ones

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes. You have Baby Tail. Once you get more coordinated the next feathers will remain tidier.

If I were a bird I would still have baby tail, I am sure. I am the only adult I know who still gets skinned knees. 😝

OP
DD!

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
Yes. You have Baby Tail. Once you get more coordinated the next feathers will remain tidier.

If I were a bird I would still have baby tail, I am sure. I am the only adult I know who still gets skinned knees. 😝
Thank you both!
That makes a lot of sense! I can often be seen wrestling the cage, the toys and even my tail!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your mom could wet down and smooth out your tail if she’s really bothered by it.

Reactions: DD!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Yup young birds are especially rough on the tail feathers. By time my Sunny got to his first molt there were only three left.
20191107_075958.jpg

OP
DD!

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
Your mom could wet down and smooth out your tail if she’s really bothered by it.
😊 thank you for the tip. I think she was just worried 😉🦜

OP
DD!

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
Yup young birds are especially rough on the tail feathers. By time my Sunny got to his first molt there were only three left.
View attachment 44244
Wow!
I was reading something about that today and it says that if they don’t have a companion we need to help with those feathers they can’t reach… is that so?

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
So the long and short of it. We humans are not to really touch a bird anywhere save the head and neck area for scritching, and helping to dehusk new feathers. Anything else and our feathered friends can easily mistake the attention as something else.
Now let's say the bird breaks a tail feather. But it didn't completely break into two. So the broken part is just dangling by a tread. That is safe to clip that off. But leave the remaining stub of a feather that's still attached to the bird alone. The bird will drop it as normal during the next molt.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wow!
I was reading something about that today and it says that if they don’t have a companion we need to help with those feathers they can’t reach… is that so?
That’s talking about head and neck scratching, I bet. Birds can’t preen their head and neck themselves but need a friend, bird or human, or even a scratching tool (like another feather).

Phoenix is beautiful! Look at the contrast between the bright yellow and orange and the cobalt blue!

Last edited:

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
Maddox was the same way when I got him. His tail feathers were completely mangled, but after a few months, they dropped, and better-looking feathers replaced them. They place I got him from said this is very typical, and offering baths and/ or showers can help with feather upkeep. I hope this helps!

OP
DD!

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
So the long and short of it. We humans are not to really touch a bird anywhere save the head and neck area for scritching, and helping to dehusk new feathers. Anything else and our feathered friends can easily mistake the attention as something else.
Now let's say the bird breaks a tail feather. But it didn't completely break into two. So the broken part is just dangling by a tread. That is safe to clip that off. But leave the remaining stub of a feather that's still attached to the bird alone. The bird will drop it as normal during the next molt.
Got it.
How often they molt?

OP
DD!

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
Maddox was the same way when I got him. His tail feathers were completely mangled, but after a few months, they dropped, and better-looking feathers replaced them. They place I got him from said this is very typical, and offering baths and/ or showers can help with feather upkeep. I hope this helps!
Mango has been here for a week already and I have tried every different ways to offer a shower/bath.. so far no luck. Seems to like the sink faucet but won’t let go my tshirt and only reaches carefully with the beak.
I ordered a cat water fountain as someone recommended, hopefully it will help.

OP
DD!

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
That’s talking about head and neck scratching, I bet. Birds can’t preen their head and neck themselves but need a friend, bird or human, or even a scratching tool (like another feather).

Phoenix is beautiful! Look at the contrast between the bright yellow and orange and the cobalt blue!
Yes!! Beautiful colors!!!! 😍

OP
DD!

DD!

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Mango has been here for a week already and I have tried every different ways to offer a shower/bath.. so far no luck. Seems to like the sink faucet but won’t let go my tshirt and only reaches carefully with the beak.
I ordered a cat water fountain as someone recommended, hopefully it will help.
A week is not long in “parrot time.” Have patience.

Your description sounds cute even if you would like him to be IN the bath.

Most Reactions