Manila rope for things like cargo nets

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
So I found out Staples sells bulk rope. Why, I have no idea. But the price is great for those that need quite a bit like for what is used in making cargo nets.
Rope, Line & Twine | Staplesยฎ

The thing that I can't find out is whether its treated or natural. I know some will say we are better off not risking it, and that's fine. The topic is not whether I should use something I have already purchased, but rather lets find out if this stuff is safe and then go from there.

So has anyone ever bought this stuff? Do you know if its treated? Or do you have any suggestions on where I can dig deeper since the people at Staples haven't been able to answer these questions.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I was trying to buy untreated sizal rope and was able to get it at Loews. All the sizal at home depot was treated and has almost a creasote smell to it. On the hemp ropes at both stores there was no smell except for the rope and they did not think it had been treated. nor did they think hemp rope gets treated. I do know the smell of the untreated sizal compared to the treated was very distinctive.:)

OP
blackhawk007

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
So I decided to order the smaller spool of the 3/4" rope. Since I have been unsuccessful finding any information I figure this is the only real way to find out. A while back I picked up a few smaller rolls of sisal from homedepot before I found this forum. When I got it home I could clearly smell that there was some chemical on it. Then I later read that their rope is in fact treated. When this new roll arrives I will at least be able to start with the sight, smell, and taste tests and then go from there. If I sense that its not bird safe then I'm sure I can find other uses for it around here.

The reason why this is a big deal is because I want to make 2 cargo nets. One is going to be about 8 feet by 10 feet. This one net along is going to take several hundred feet of 3/4" rope. Then when you add in the fact that I want more than one, you can see where the price starts to mater a bit.

I'll keep everyone updated when this stuff arrives. Though hopeful, I fully expect to be let down when I open it up.

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
Do you have a pattern for the net you are going to make ... after you find the correct rope? I'd be interested if you are willing to share.
thank you

Most Reactions

Latest posts