Manila Rope

Roanoke

Oct 30, 2014
Greenville, SC
Parrots
Teeko, GCC [Baby Amazon ETA: August 25th]
Now I'm sure this has been answered a kajillion times, but does anybody know if the by-the-foot manila rope at Home Depot is treated?
They stock two widths, a 3/4" and a narrower one. I smelled them and the narrow width had an awful odor, no doubt it's treated in some way.
The 3/4" had no discernible smell at all, despite me nearly shoving it up my nostrils (And looking crazy in the process, hooray) so I just wanted to see what you guys' experience has been with Home Depot. Neither of the ropes looked different in color, so I'm still not sure if the 3/4" is treated or not..

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Yes, please do go back and check! That it the rope I use, 3/4. Good to have a second set of eyes check it!!
David

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
I don't trust Lowe's or home depot. I get mine from knotandropesupply.Com and they state on their website that it is not treated.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I don't trust Lowe's or home depot. I get mine from knotandropesupply.Com and they state on their website that it is not treated.

Though you may have a personal aversion to Lowes & Home Depot as companies, the labeling of products they sell falls on the particular vendor/manufacturer, so it would seem that any rope suitably labeled, would be OK for use around birds.....though I could be wrong, but I doubt it.....

OP
Roanoke

Roanoke

Oct 30, 2014
Greenville, SC
Parrots
Teeko, GCC [Baby Amazon ETA: August 25th]
Well guys, I submitted a question on their website and they replied with; "The rope is treated with a softening flax oil. The manufacturer has confirmed that it is not harmful to animals."
Sounds dodgy. I might, just maybe do it (My bird doesn't like chewing or even licking rope) but wanted to ask you all first.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
From what I've found, as long as it's natural flaxseed oil and doesn't have any added chemicals it will be safe. Alternatively, I searched for the best way to soften Manila rope and Linseed oil was listed, which can also be used as a natural perch sealant for birds. If you're really concerned, I would request specifically if it is safe for birds and not just "animals"... what is safe to a cat or dog is not safe for a bird.

Most Reactions