Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Masuka (Or Suka as we call her) is a Melodious Laughing Thrush. We have had her for 8 years now.
Reg and I joined a bird club, and one day after a meeting we went to see one of the member's (and office holders) birds.
When we went in, there were beautiful canaries everywhere in a huge flight. Reg noticed a tiny round cage hanging from the ceiling and asked if there was anything in it.
The cage looked like this:

1647132121180.png

It was 9" in diameter and 9" tall. Suka could only sidle back and forth between the food dishes.
He said that she had had a mate who died, so he moved her to the cage she came in because he couldn't find a male.
Reg & I got to the truck, and he said we need to ask him what he wants for her. I felt exactly the same and emailed him after we got home. He agreed to take $300 for her and Reg picked her up the next day.

I had no idea what to feed her, he was feeding her an egg food and some seeds. I posted here on the forum and asked if anyone knew what they eat in captivity, and a person in South Korea answered me and helped me so much.
Suka eats fresh fruits twice a day, she has pellets that thankfully my friend Janine was able to order in for me, and she has a small dish of seeds and mealworms.

This is my Girl, I love her so much. She will even step up now. She always has a pie plate with water in it and takes baths multiple times a day.
It breaks my heart that she spent to much time without taking a bath.

4.jpg

1.jpg

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Her coloring is incredible! I just listened to 10 minutes of their song on YouTube and forgot to come back and post! Beautiful.
Awww, that is so sweet! She really is a beauty in my eyes, and to watch her come out of her shell was amazing. When she started stepping up I was shocked, that only happened in the last year I believe.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I found this little sample... dazzling yet demure. Wonderful. And she kinda has little Rickeybird eye patches...
Terry, you are so much of a hero to me. You and Reg.
God bless you.
Oh, that is my Girl! Thank you for finding this, Sunshine!

And nope, not heroes. We didn't do anything that any one of y'all wouldn't have done in the same circumstance. We happened to be in the right place at the right time:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you so much for helping her! Such a pretty bird! :giggle:
The pleasure is all ours. She is such a sweetheart. We had to have her beak trimmed twice, and then her new diet kicked in and we haven't had any issues since:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Fascinating! What an amazing story ❤
Do you know the life expectancy?
It kills me when any creature is so confined
No, unfortunately we don't know her lifespan. In captivity in their home country they are kept in cages just like she came to me in.
She is still going strong, though. The guy we got her from said he had had her for 3 years and had no idea how old she was when he got her. I hope to have many more years with her, but try to prepare myself every day when I go into the little bird room that this may be the day.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I found this little sample... dazzling yet demure. Wonderful. And she kinda has little Rickeybird eye patches...
God bless you.
L
God bless you.
What a beautiful song and a heartwarming story. Thank you. I hope Masuka has many more good years with you.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
L

What a beautiful song and a heartwarming story. Thank you. I hope Masuka has many more good years with you.
Thank you so much! I hope she does as well.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Unfortunately you see song birds caged like that in CHina all the time and they never get changed to a bigger one. Glad you found her, and se brings joy to the house!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Unfortunately you see song birds caged like that in CHina all the time and they never get changed to a bigger one. Glad you found her, and se brings joy to the house!

It's heartbreaking to think about. I can't find the exact cage she was kept in, but this one is close.

ecaaf4a445168a253d417b100107b92c.jpg

Her singing is really soft, but beautiful. I get the pleasure of hearing it every morning:)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Pretty GORL!
I'm in love. Might need to kidnap her for myself.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Pretty GORL!
I'm in love. Might need to kidnap her for myself.
She would fit in perfectly with Jasper, she doesn't like walnuts so he would get allll the walnuts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts