Mathew Fears Mia, and Avoid eating When She’s Close to Him

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
Hello!
Mathew doesn't like to sleep in his (bedtime cage) anymore. When he used to sleep in his cage before having Mia, he used to love when I put my hand right next to him inside the cage till he sleep. When I got Mia, she started sleeping with Mathew, and she never allowed me to do the same. Mathew then stopped allowing me to put my hand inside the cage. After weeks later Mathew didn’t want to sleep in his cage anymore with Mia. Now I’m noticing, that whatever Mathew eats or plays with? Mia pushes him and take it (most of the time) if there’re two bowels of food? She wants the one that Mathew is eating from .. Mathew started to fly away the moment she comes closer to him. They love each other and the preen each other, but Mia seems to be too dominant, and Mathew always wants to avoid fighting with her .. I don’t know what to do?
Thank you in advance

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
Theres is one more thing I didn’t mention, I hang fresh corn and melon in their cage. They used to eat together but not anymore, whenever Mathew is eating Mia kind of push him by her beak. So now whenever Mathew sees Mia coming to the cage when he’s eating he just escape to me. I don’t like it for both of them

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe have two fruits available? Otherwise one bird will always have to wait.

I must keep my two birds separate but when I’ve had birds caged together then I always have multiple foods and waters so there’s less fighting and even the quieter, weaker, or smaller birds get access.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I had 2 budgies together who seemed to get along well. It wasn't until the male, Russell started getting weak that I noticed that the female would keep him away from whatever bowl he was trying to eat out of. It didn't matter how many dishes or hanging extra fruits, she ran him away from everything and he almost starved to death.
I would suggest separate cages for them because what Mia is doing sounds exactly like what Mallie did to Russell.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had 2 budgies together who seemed to get along well. It wasn't until the male, Russell started getting weak that I noticed that the female would keep him away from whatever bowl he was trying to eat out of. It didn't matter how many dishes or hanging extra fruits, she ran him away from everything and he almost starved to death.
I would suggest separate cages for them because what Mia is doing sounds exactly like what Mallie did to Russell.
A ‘bad’ question: are you sorry you got Mia? Do you think things were happier before?

I don’t know if you could find a new home for her where she could get all the attention and so Matthew could have all your attention. Or even if you would want to do that. But sometimes I think parrots might be happy being THE ONE AND ONLY BIRD in the house.

Or maybe that’s just me thinking about my situation and wondering if my two jealous boys might be better separate.

Most Reactions