Meet Burette My Splay Legged New Quaker

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Our local pet store has had some Quakers for sale. About a month ago I stopped in to check them out. They were in a very small little cage. There were multiple green birds and a blue one. There were originally 2 blue ones, but one sold right before I walked in. Due to a misunderstanding with the shop owner that day I did not get her, although I have been looking for a blue buddy for Beaker.

Yesterday, I couldn't take it any longer. I went in and held her and picked her up. I was told she had not learned step up and had minimal people interaction. The day before I noticed she wasn't as sweet as when I first handled her and tried to bite any time I touched her cage. She also would sit in her food bowl and would feed her cage mates, but she was in control of distribution!

When I got her home I tried to see if she would step up, but she would just fly away. She flew fairly high up and sat on one of our window sills. I had to get an 8 foot ladder to get her down. I hated to, but I clipped her flight feathers for her safety. She can still glide and land softly, but not catch any real lift. Here is my first picture of her. She is sitting next to Beaker. No I did not quarantine.

F557555A-A91A-4402-B6B8-14B331FF3B3B-3849-0000029817FA2BB7.jpg

This is the most upright I have seen her stand, and I think it was out of curiosity for the camera. Once clipped, we tried step up again. This is when I really discovered that she is splay legged. She puts one foot on my finger and the other one is looking for the rest of my finger but pretty far out instead of straight down. I also noticed that once she did perch on me, she would lose her balance forward and keeps her tail way down to maintain that balance. Here is a picture of her and how she normally sits. (This is after she bathed in her water dish) Don't worry she was snuggled up in a towel with me after)

CC5AB340-1AD5-4BB2-B6D4-1D1B89BBCCE6-3849-0000029FCCD2C580.jpg

85F15738-55F7-4F2A-B641-5B9DFE49E7DF-3849-0000029FC9A7B778.jpg

She loves Beaker, and Beaker loves her. She wants to be as close to him as possible. He preened her yesterday and they only time they got snippy was when she found a sunflower seed and Beaker wanted it. They settled their differences on their own. My intention is not to let them share cages, but I couldn't get Beaker out of her cage last night!

5378319F-7FA2-4A5C-B3F9-2C409A118C19-3849-00000298783AE118.jpg

While in her cage, if she sits on a perch she keeps her right leg on the perch and uses her left to grab the cage. Her favorite spot is inside of her coconut hut. She did sleep in the happy hut, however. Right now we have her cage in the living room and Beaker has a huge cage upstairs.

Despite her weird stance and splay leg issue, she gets around the cage just fine. I initially set things up low and she would just climb to the top of the cage and hang out. She is very snuggly and during this initial day has not been bitey. She has been very sleepy, as was Beaker when I first brought him home. Right now both of them are napping on a perch stand by the front window while we have sunlight. I am happy to say that she DOES know step up, and even is trying to say it. Her issue is that she loses her balance.

3B50BCA1-152C-4261-9514-39A3B457FF7F-3849-0000029CC8014678.jpg

My question is, looking at the photos do you believe she is splay legged? She is much too old, from what I have read, to do anything non surgical to fix it. Does anyone else have a bird with this condition? Do you treat them any differently?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I don't have any answers for you but boy is she or he cute. How old is your other Quaker? I am amazed that they got along right from the getgo. My sweetie pie aka rebel is also a green quaker . I had me heart set on a blue but was looking at the wrong time of the year then found sweetie pie at a little mom and pop pet store at 6 months old and it was love at first sight on both our parts. My hubby and I both adore him. and by the way I have to admit I now have three parrots and nobody got quarentined do to the house set up. so far all our birds are healthy. I will be following this post as I am also interested in any answers you get. Thanks for sharing the pictures:D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
I think I'd have a vet evaluate it, just to be sure that she is strictly dealing with an anatomical deformity and that she doesn't have something neurological going on.

She is adorable!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I have a splayed leg parrot, I've posted a fair bit about him on the forum if you want to do some searching. I'm off to bed now, but if you message me or respond here etc. I'll get back to you as soon as I can :)

But I think most of the things about him I've posted on the forum already, so!

Goodnight! (ps. they're adorable!)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Oh also, I'll post something written by another lady on the forum.

"This is the story of Scooter, a little lovebird who defied odds and is now living a fantastic life. For those with splay legged birds, don't give up hope! :)

Scooter is a peach faced lovebird. She was born on too smooth of a surface and nothing was done to correct the problem. When scooter was born she had one other clutch mate with was also splayed legged. Scooter was a fighter right off the bat, she would "scoot" around her pen and scream at her parent till they fed her. Her clutch mate never moved from the "nest". Of course the parents knew something was wrong and never took care of the other baby. Her clutch mate unfortunately died, but scooter was determined to live. One of the saddest things in scooters case is the people knew how to fixed her legs but they never did.

I took scooter home when she was about 2 months old. Scooter was my first bird, not a great choice, but she is a fighter like me and I knew I could give her a wonderful life. When I first brought her home, I was worried that she wouldn't make it without constant attention. I would come home on my lunch break and feed and check up on her. Everytime she would greet me with chirps. I thought she would never be able to play with toys or really truly enjoy life. She proved me wrong very quickly. In no time she was playing with her bells and having a great time. She had always been able to fly since I don't think it would be fair to deprive her of flight as well as walking. She learned very quickly that she was different and had to do thing differently. There is an excellent video of scooter climbing a candle holder, she tried for days to "stand" on it but couldn't get her feet to cooperate. I know she was frustrated because she would scream and attack her feet because they weren't letting her do what she wanted, it honestly broke my heart to watch her struggle. I remember the first time she finally got up there she was so happy with herself, and I was so proud.

Here's the video of her conquering the candle holder!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJkeEq-8ulo]Scooter vs. Candleholder - YouTube[/ame]

Scooter is an excellent example of how birds can adapt to anything without too much trouble. She is now 18 months old and as happy as can be. She can grab her bells and climb up on just about anything, she can also land without hurting herself. She is such an amazing animal and an excellent example of getting past a handicap. So if you see a bird with bad legs or even one bad leg, don't write it off as a "cripple" that won't be able to do anything. Give that bird a chance to live and flourish, it may just surprise you like my scooter bird surprised me. I couldn't imagine my life without my scooter bird, she's help me emotionally more then I've helped her physically.

She's made me realize even if an animal or person is different, it doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance at a great life.

I hope scooter touches your heart, like she's touched mine."

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Congrads, your bird is too cute! I have a green female Quaker named Breezy. I won't worry to much about the leg issue because your bird makes up for it in the looks department. The only thing that I would warn against is placing the two together in the same cage. You will end up with them being bonded to each other and not you. Since they are young you should lay down the rules now. So enjoy your beautiful new bird.

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Congrads, your bird is too cute! I have a green female Quaker named Breezy. I won't worry to much about the leg issue because your bird makes up for it in the looks department. The only thing that I would warn against is placing the two together in the same cage. You will end up with them being bonded to each other and not you. Since they are young you should lay down the rules now. So enjoy your beautiful new bird.

This evening Beaker is "so over" her. He has been riding with me all over the house demanding kisses and reminding me he is a good bird. He wants his big cage now. :cool:

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Oh also, I'll post something written by another lady on the forum.

"This is the story of Scooter, a little lovebird who defied odds and is now living a fantastic life. For those with splay legged birds, don't give up hope! :)

Scooter is a peach faced lovebird. She was born on too smooth of a surface and nothing was done to correct the problem. When scooter was born she had one other clutch mate with was also splayed legged. Scooter was a fighter right off the bat, she would "scoot" around her pen and scream at her parent till they fed her. Her clutch mate never moved from the "nest". Of course the parents knew something was wrong and never took care of the other baby. Her clutch mate unfortunately died, but scooter was determined to live. One of the saddest things in scooters case is the people knew how to fixed her legs but they never did.

I took scooter home when she was about 2 months old. Scooter was my first bird, not a great choice, but she is a fighter like me and I knew I could give her a wonderful life. When I first brought her home, I was worried that she wouldn't make it without constant attention. I would come home on my lunch break and feed and check up on her. Everytime she would greet me with chirps. I thought she would never be able to play with toys or really truly enjoy life. She proved me wrong very quickly. In no time she was playing with her bells and having a great time. She had always been able to fly since I don't think it would be fair to deprive her of flight as well as walking. She learned very quickly that she was different and had to do thing differently. There is an excellent video of scooter climbing a candle holder, she tried for days to "stand" on it but couldn't get her feet to cooperate. I know she was frustrated because she would scream and attack her feet because they weren't letting her do what she wanted, it honestly broke my heart to watch her struggle. I remember the first time she finally got up there she was so happy with herself, and I was so proud.

Here's the video of her conquering the candle holder!
Scooter vs. Candleholder - YouTube

Scooter is an excellent example of how birds can adapt to anything without too much trouble. She is now 18 months old and as happy as can be. She can grab her bells and climb up on just about anything, she can also land without hurting herself. She is such an amazing animal and an excellent example of getting past a handicap. So if you see a bird with bad legs or even one bad leg, don't write it off as a "cripple" that won't be able to do anything. Give that bird a chance to live and flourish, it may just surprise you like my scooter bird surprised me. I couldn't imagine my life without my scooter bird, she's help me emotionally more then I've helped her physically.

She's made me realize even if an animal or person is different, it doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance at a great life.

I hope scooter touches your heart, like she's touched mine."

What a great story!

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Today I came home from work and my wife had the birds out. Beaker and Burette were perched together without a millimeter between them. When he saw me Beaker became super excited and started saying step up and gimme kiss. I had special time with Beaker alone and Burette alone. We also had play time together and shared some homemade chicken pot pie. Right now she is sleeping on my lap and Beaker is preening me. She was perched much more upright today and got around much quicker. Her legs seem to be getting stronger.

Last edited:
OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
She is able to step up and perch much more upright on my finger today. Legs and grip getting much stronger. Still doesn't do well on the word floors, but placing her on different size perches seems to be strengthening her.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I want to apologise for not giving you much info about my own splay legged parrot. I'm unwell and it's taxing for me to be writing so much and giving a lot of thought into it. I'll be watching out on beakers progress, so far you're doing great with everything.

If there's anything specific you want to ask, suggestions or about merlin or whatever, feel free to message me here or email [email protected] will be able to take my time replying and whatnot then instead of wearing myself out over one forum post. yikes!

Different perch types are good for birds feet and legs as it improves their flexibility. Merlin favours his rope perch as he can stick one leg out behind him and perch on it as it curves, same for food dishes too.

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Well, Burette is quite the happy bird. Stronger and faster every day. I am attempting to do the seed to pellet transition. She wasn't happy about that. She threw all the pellets out everywhere. Beaker did so when he was her age, so we will just press on. She is perching better and better every day and standing almost fully upright while perched. She also has a very nice temperament and is trying really hard to repeat words. We've practiced step up so much, she almost has saying it down.

Most Reactions