Meet Gizmo!

MwCrf450r

Mar 24, 2017
So we got this little guy/girl second hand Sunday. Told he's about 10months old. He's a very food motivated little bugger and loves company although somewhat scared of hands/fingers. Assuming the previous owners kids liked to stick fingers in the cage I'm not sure. Not afraid to leave the cage whatsoever and if Gizmo ends up on the floor or someplace that he shouldnt be(I'm gonna assume he until I find out otherwise lol) he will step up although very hesitantly. My wife and I had a sun conure that we lost unexpectedly 5 years ago so we were hesitant to get another bird because the loss was so great but was told Gizmo needed a new home and figured it was time we could open our home up to another bird.

Attachments

• 20220220_173402.jpg
    20220220_173402.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220224_172420.jpg
    20220224_172420.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 88

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
So we got this little guy/girl second hand Sunday. Told he's about 10months old. He's a very food motivated little bugger and loves company although somewhat scared of hands/fingers. Assuming the previous owners kids liked to stick fingers in the cage I'm not sure. Not afraid to leave the cage whatsoever and if Gizmo ends up on the floor or someplace that he shouldnt be(I'm gonna assume he until I find out otherwise lol) he will step up although very hesitantly. My wife and I had a sun conure that we lost unexpectedly 5 years ago so we were hesitant to get another bird because the loss was so great but was told Gizmo needed a new home and figured it was time we could open our home up to another bird.
What a beautiful little guy! Welcome! I don’t want to be a debbie downer, but not a good idea to let the cat lay across the top of the cage like that. Cats have bacteria in their saliva dangerous to birds, and they use their tongues to groom themselves, so ostensibly it can be on surfaces they frequently touch, not just their teeth or claws!

OP
MwCrf450r

MwCrf450r

Mar 24, 2017
Welcome to you and beautiful Gizmo! Very kind of you to adopt as homage to legacy of your sun conure.

Hesitation or fear of fingers/hands not unusual, and food motivation is perfect vehicle for gentle behavior modification. Please check linked thread for tips to enhance bonding and trust: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/
Thanks for that article! I've made good progress. He loves green beans so we started with long pieces through the bars, now I can open the cage door and feed blueberries. He'll even come out of his cage to grab one before returning to his perch to eat it!

OP
MwCrf450r

MwCrf450r

Mar 24, 2017
What a beautiful little guy! Welcome! I don’t want to be a debbie downer, but not a good idea to let the cat lay across the top of the cage like that. Cats have bacteria in their saliva dangerous to birds, and they use their tongues to groom themselves, so ostensibly it can be on surfaces they frequently touch, not just their teeth or claws!
I did not know that! Gonna have to think on this hard. His cage is just tall enough the cat can jump from flat ground to the top idk how I'll keep him off.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I did not know that! Gonna have to think on this hard. His cage is just tall enough the cat can jump from flat ground to the top idk how I'll keep him off.
You can try moving him to a room where the cat does not go, then he'll be safe:) There's also the risk of the cat attacking him, no matter how sweet the cat is, better be safe than sorry!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Please, please use utmost caution with cats and birds. Not to appear morbid, but our Bereavement forum has tragic evidence of very one-sided predation. It is possible to have a mixed family provided extreme caution used by entire family.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Our parrot stays in my office for this very reason - it’s the room I spend most of my daylight time in, it’s got a door I can lock against the cat, and it’s got lovely views of our back garden. While it’s generally best to have your bird’s cage in the most high traffic room, there are definitely ways to make alternative arrangements work!

Most Reactions

Latest posts