Meyers- Male vs female temperament

Ashnic

Feb 19, 2019
Hi there. I've done a stack of research. And I'm thinking a Meyers is a good little package for me. Good amount of cuddles/low noise/ not one person bird/ laid back etc
I am a female. And I'm wondering if there is much difference between male and female Meyers? Any recommendations?
I have a 2yo male Princess Parrot who hated my male baby tiel, loves my friends female GCC. If that has any impact on choice

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just remember that each parrot has it's own personality and that general statements like "cuddly, quiet or good talkers" may all prove to not be the case with the parrot you wind up with. Good Luck with your littl Meyers.

Abbayarra

May 29, 2018
Media
My wife and I own a male 2 year old Ruppell's Meyers Parrot Poicephalus rueppellii.

He is definitely an African Parrot. He is energetic, frighteningly intelligent, a one person bird, and very, very aggressive. It is much like having a 2 year old child. He is also very acrobatic, and not very big birds.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
My co-worker recently got a meyers parrot that is 16(?) weeks old if I remember correctly. She's rather sweet but a bit nippy (I think she's just pushing her boundaries), however as said, she is still really young so that can change. I've been told that meyers are very similar to senegals and I only have 1 experience with senegals. We had an older one at the shop for a bit and he got along with me great and my boss great, but didn't really like my other co-workers and would lunge at them if they put their hand in his cage to change water or food. I think they're just pretty picky birds.

wiji

Apr 12, 2020
Manila, Philippines
Parrots
I currently have a Meyer's Parrot that is with me for a couple of months now.
I have a meyer's and he's pretty nippy. All I can say is that my bird is a one man bird, and so my aunt is having a hard time to give him food when im away for work lol, the rest, he's just sweet but bit aggressive when he's abt to go to bed

Lunarsprint

Aug 10, 2018
I have a 7yo Meyers female named Dinah had her for 4 years, to me she's amazing, only bit me once when she had a scare in the middle of the night and I was trying to collect her and calm her, she'll some times bluff in her cage if I'm petting her and not taking her out. She does not trust strangers and is nervous and prone to bites nips with them, also she can't be approached if she's on my shoulder, my personal attack bird. Unfortunately none of my friends family etc are interested in trying to interact with her.
@Abbayarra
You have a Meyers and a ruppells, a hybrid or one or the other? I also have a Ruppells female named Isla.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello and welcome. Please don't hate me for the following advice, but I think it is really important to consider (even though your past experiences may seem to contradict the statements that follow):

NO CUDDLES for any parrot. If they give them willingly, it is highly sexual and leads to behaviors down the road. Do not ever pet a bird anywhere other than the head and neck (even if they like it and even if they want it). It is making a promise you can't keep, and it contributes to major problems and re-homing of birds on a world-wide scale. If you want cuddles, consider a different pet, please. If you cuddle a baby, you set a standard that is extremely detrimental once they hit puberty, so you need to be consistent and set behavioral expectations from a young age (even before they start getting hormonal).

Also-- not huts, shadowy spaces, tents etc...these areas simulate nesting environments and they may not create issues in a baby, but they will in a sexually mature bird...and since birds hate change, it is best not to start something you cannot sustain.

On top of that, do not dismiss the risks of combining multiple birds...They could have a very contentious relationship and that is NOT as easy to deal with as it sounds (you need to remember, you may not be able to allow them out at the same time). If you spend 4 hours of time with your 2 birds(out of the cage) then imagine 8 to 12 hours for 3 birds, in the event that they try to fight or mate (even though they aren't the same species)....you don't want to let them get aggressive or hormonal. Plus- the introduction of a 3rd bird could upset the relationship with the pair you have and create a situation where they all have to be separated (it's possible-- even if it sounds negative---think about kids trying to play in groups of 3...it rarely goes well- then amplify that/ restart the clock when your new bird hits puberty, because, again, dynamics will change --even though the bird is a different species).

Also- remember that you will need to quarantine a new bird for at least 30 days in a separate room and accompany that period with an extensive vet visit (including testing--not just physical). They can be asymptomatic carriers of deadly illness for a lifetime without ever manifesting symptoms. You will also need to run tests on your current birds, as they could pose a threat to a new bird.

Last edited:

Most Reactions