Meyers Mating Dance/Gender

TheMan

Oct 29, 2022
Parrots
16 year old Meyers Parrot
So my Meyers got a gene test done. His name is The Man and after 16 years we found out he is actually a she. The question/concern I have is if this gene test was actually correct. He (yes I still call him a he because I’m so used to it) has a high pitch when making noises and his mating dance is stepping side to side, putting his tail down and making squeaking noises and getting big and fluffy with his wings slightly out. He also likes female humans more than male. Could this be an indicator of him being a real male or do females do this too? Also, when he nibbles my hand while regurgitating and puts his tail down, is that also him trying to mate.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So my Meyers got a gene test done. His name is The Man and after 16 years we found out he is actually a she. The question/concern I have is if this gene test was actually correct. He (yes I still call him a he because I’m so used to it) has a high pitch when making noises and his mating dance is stepping side to side, putting his tail down and making squeaking noises and getting big and fluffy with his wings slightly out. He also likes female humans more than male. Could this be an indicator of him being a real male or do females do this too? Also, when he nibbles my hand while regurgitating and puts his tail down, is that also him trying to mate.
The genetic tests are very very very reliable.

“Putting his tail down” sounds like she’s sort of preparing to mate.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Does it look and sound something like this video? That is my Senegal Sidney (male) getting himself all hormoned up and dancing on my hand. He makes a repeating "fut-fut-fut" noise instead of any high pitch noises. I read somewhere or heard it on this forum that both genders will dance for their humans but I don't know how factual that is. My first Senegal did not dance. She came to me as a female as a rescue but I didn't have her tested. With the conditions she came out of, her health was never great so maybe she didn't feel up to it. Far lower energy level than the brat who is blasting my ears with his high pitch squeal in protest because one of my Blue Crowns is making a noisy fuss.

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
I recognize that dance and lowering of wings of MY male senegal. And yes, throw in on your shoulder and I am sure he will be humping.. :) theman, thats a girl. :)

Most Reactions