Mice issue

Alliegmarcin

Aug 24, 2021
Massachusetts
Parrots
Parrotlet named Quito
Parakeet named Clara
We recently started having a mice issue, so I went out and bought mice repellent. It doesn't have chemicals/toxins and says "safe for all non-rodent pets" at the bottom. It's one of those repellents that you plug into the wall and it supposedly emits high frequency noise. Even though it says it's safe for all pets, do you guys think it would be okay for my birds? (I have a parrotlet and a parakeet).

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
i doubt that its safe using ohysical intstead of chemical mouse traps are better

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We just used catch and release traps. Making sure to at least take the trapped mice down the street, if not a couple miles away.
The catch and release traps also worked for us.
I personally wouldn't use any kind of chemical traps.

I also want to wish you a belated welcome to the forum! I'm glad you joined us:)

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I would think the sound would probably bother the birds at least as much as the mice.

I have been using something called Mouse Magic, which are peppermint-scented sachets. Along with that, Capture traps (I take the mice Several miles away!), and steel wool in any openings I can find.

Thankfully my landlord was able to locate most likely entry points from the outside, and also blocked them and lined them with steel wool. That was disturbed in the summer when some work was being done, and another immediately appeared in my capture trap. After which landlord re-blocked those openings. That was summer of course; now we are heading into fall and we Shall See.

So anyway the main recommendations are sweep vacuum sweep vacuum -- capture traps -- and block any openings, with steel wool or copper wool if you can. (*Steel wool can be a fire hazard at high temps, due to oils from manufacturing, so do not put steel wool around any pipes or heaters etc that could get flammably hot, nor near any open flame.)

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I use cats.

There are two kinds of electronic repellants, Ultrasonic and electrical pulsing. The latter puts noise on your electrical lines and claims to work very well and not bother other animals because the emissions are in your walls via the wiring.

In any event mouse traps, including cats do work and I think cats cause the mice to instinctively stay away after a period of hunting...at least in my 260 year old house they did/do.

Most Reactions