Mice problem

Iris

Jan 24, 2022
Parrots
Cockatoos, grey
Are the natural oils safe for the parrots? For example they say to use peppermint and other oils to deter mice. ? Want to check before using. Any advice on getting rid of the mice?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think it depends on whether there is chemicals used or not. Just because something is all natural, doesn't mean it's bird safe. For example, avocado is 100% natural but VERY toxic to birdies. If it's unsafe I'd recommend moving them to another home temporarily. What oils do you mean? If you tell me I can try help you out:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Mice is a full building problem and the process commonly starts with vastly limiting their entrance to you home or apartment. That commonly starts by filling gaps /openings around the exterior of the building and in the craw space /basement with filling gaps /openings that allow their entrance into your living area.

Vastly limiting food sources is the next step as if their is no food sources they simply move-on.

In home treatments vary, but the problem with using products that attempts to direct them else where is that they simply find a different path around it. Point being, you are not driving them out of the home, only the area that you are treating.

Natural 'oils' regardless of their aroma tend to be problematic for use around Parrots and IMHO should be avoided.

OP
I

Iris

Jan 24, 2022
Parrots
Cockatoos, grey
Are the natural oils safe for the parrots? For example they say to use peppermint and other oils to deter mice. ? Want to check before using. Any advice on getting rid of the mice?
They suggest peppermint as one of the scents mice dont like. I'm just going to keep trapping them. Keeping room and cages clean. Taking food out at night. I can try this stuff in other rooms.

OP
I

Iris

Jan 24, 2022
Parrots
Cockatoos, grey
They suggest peppermint as one of the scents mice dont like. I'm just going to keep trapping them. Keeping room and cages clean. Taking food out at night. I can try this stuff in other rooms.
I also can get a decent air purifying system for the bird room.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You say, they. So, I am guessing that you are talking apartment house. They are commonly required to regularly treat the grounds around the building and all none client areas of the building. The trapping is the most assured method of mice control and you can also monitor the level of the problem.

OP
I

Iris

Jan 24, 2022
Parrots
Cockatoos, grey
No I live in a one story brick home. I have had parrots for over 30 years. I have not had a problem like this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts