Mickey is starting to like me!!

Jroyal14

Sep 13, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
12 y/o male African Grey (Mickey)
So I've finally seemed to have gained a little bit of Mickey's trust. He has gotten better with stepping up. He won't usually step up if he is inside of his cage but I respect that because that is his personal space and I want him to at least feel comfortable and secure in there if no place else. Yesterday around like 10 pm I was getting settled in and was going to watch a movie (boring Saturday night right?) And Mickey kept calling me over to him so I went and got him, and usually I don't know what to do with him because he never wanted to be petted so i would just hold him there. But this time he kept wiping his beak on my arm, he would turn his head completely upside down against my wrist. So I finally built up the courage to pet him and he just closed him eyes and fluffed up. He stayed like that for the entire movie. Whenever I would stop petting him, he would try to get my attention so i would pet him some more.
I think we're on to something here!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
That's fantastic! It's wonderful that he's overcoming his fears and learning that he's loved and in a good home, where everybody's nice to him.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Congratulations on your breakthrough with Mickey.....

For many parrot species this time of year is one of their hormonal times and you need to be careful of how you pet him so that you don;t give him the wrong signals.....when petting Mickey, you should just pet his head & neck area.....petting/rubbing him on his back, wings & body area is a mating indicator for companion birds.....so, just be careful.....you don't want to give Mickey any indication that you want to mate with him.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts