Microchip

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I been thinking about getting my birds microchipped for a little while now for the near future. Right now Iā€™m leaning towards getting everyone microchipped.
Has anyone heard of adverse reactions to having a parrot microchipped? Ive read the chip can bother them under their skin and they will harm themselves to pull it out. Does anyone have experience of micro chipping their birds? What kind and how big are your microchipped birds. Has anyone else debated on micro chipping - why did you decide for or against it?

Thank you in advance!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
My YNA Baxter is chipped, the refuge I adopted her from had it done since her band had been removed. No issues with it. She's a big girl at 650g. I'll probably have my Ekkie, Tucker done at some point and remove his band too. He's right at 420g. No idea if smaller birds have issues with them, but I assume not so much, or they wouldn't offer to do it.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have debated it and I didn't do it because I was under the impression that they had to be anesthetized and that scares me. I also worry that if someone did find Noodles, they wouldn't be able to scan he unless they could catch her, and even then, they'd have to take her to a vet to get it scanned....I am not against it and I still think about it, but people know so little about parrots and I'm afraid that most of the time, some vets wouldn't even think to scan them...My vet's office promotes them whenever I'm on hold though lol. Somebody also said something about toxins being a possibility, but that is not verified- just something somebody said on here once (no clue if it's true)

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have thought about it and decided not to.

I read once (donā€™t remember where) that some dogs developed tumors around the chip.
If this is true of a relatively short lived pet how will a bird that can live 60 years and more fare.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is some disagreement between Avian Medical Professional regarding Small Birds and Parrots, whether placing a Microchip should occur. Each Avian Medical Professional will have their lower limit as to whether they Microchip or not.

Microchip a mid to large Parrot is 'Harmless'! There are ZERO toxic effect! Why is Microchip recommended: It is the only form of identification accepted by the North American Legal System. It is the only form of identification accepted as proof of ownership when crossing North American Boarders and for International Travel (additional documentations is required).

Only an Avian Medical Professional should ever Microchip a Parrot regardless of size! The placement of the Microchip is important to assure that they set in the proper location as to assure field use and minimal irritation. When placed by an Avian Medical Professional, there is no need for the Parrot to be anesthetized!

NOTE: Anesthetizing Parrot is quickly become Standard Practice as a result of it being a Legal Safeguard to minimizing Law Suits from Parrots going into Heart Failure and/or Stroke from Handling Stress. The Educational System, Corporate and Insurance Legal demands are teaching it and/or demanding it as protection for the Clinic and Vets.

Individuals with a 'found' Parrot, visiting a clinic will automatically be scanned. Most 'New Parrot' appointment also include a scan 'if' there is a question regarding the source of the new Parrot.

The high-end Dog Breeders Microchip 95+% with animals that live 20 years of less.

Last edited:
OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Iā€™ve read the same information.
I have thought about it and decided not to.

I read once (donā€™t remember where) that some dogs developed tumors around the chip.
If this is true of a relatively short lived pet how will a bird that can live 60 years and more fare.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
My YNA Baxter is chipped, the refuge I adopted her from had it done since her band had been removed. No issues with it. She's a big girl at 650g. I'll probably have my Ekkie, Tucker done at some point and remove his band too. He's right at 420g. No idea if smaller birds have issues with them, but I assume not so much, or they wouldn't offer to do it.

How long has Baxter had her chip in?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
20 years ago, I saw several tumors in exotics and cats. But they're changed it, abdvi haven't heard if that problem since.

My " new to me" avain vet would not microchip a GCC or smaller , and was up to me on quaker ...I chose not

If I had a larger burd I think I would

Tho I volunteered at a shelter years ago, and they had vet students microchiping very tiny unweaned kittens. A vet student accidentally put the large need and chip though the base if the skull killed the kitten ..I was with a different student and kitten thank goodness, it was so sad.

I have my dogs chipped

A few years ago I helped microchip Mississippi Sandhill cranes. They had been doing fir years with no problems

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

How long has Baxter had her chip in?
Baxter is going on about 2 years or so with the chip, I think.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
A few years ago I helped microchip Mississippi Sandhill cranes. They had been doing fir years with no problems[/QUOTE]

Wow! Laura thatā€™s amazing!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
yes. I had a good life , working with cool creatures and conservation...before MG struck me down...you never know when yiur life can change.

Most Reactions

Latest posts