Milo Won’t Let Me Put Him Down...

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Mama to Milo the Pineapple X Cinnamon GCC
I know I’ve seen something about this before but can’t find it. I have an idea of what to do but in practice, his biting hurts [emoji23]

When I have Milo out, he hates being put down or put in his cage. He hides in my hair then he bites at anyone who tries to take him down, or put him down.

So, I hold my hand at the 90 degree angle and block him from coming up my arms, but he either flies to my shoulder or bites my arms.

So, I put him on his play stand. But then he flies back to me or to the floor and tries to find me and I’m terrified one of my other household members (which includes a 4 year old who, despite her best efforts, can’t be trusted to walk around him just in case, because she randomly gets excited and jumpy).

So, what’s the next step? [emoji23]

He’s gotten particularly nippy with fingers now that he believes them to be the ones responsible for taking him off my shoulders. We’re 5 days bite free but the nipping is still happening. (Bite free as in he’s not latching and staying attached, he nips and releases.)

I need to build his trust in me, but really I need to build my trust in him too because the nips and bites hurt [emoji23] I know they’ll be inevitable but I’m hoping to be able to navigate this miscommunication better. We did good last time. I just feel lost here. :)

So specifically I’m asking:
#1 how do I keep him off my shoulder unless he’s invited when he’s very nippy when we get him down or block him

#2 how do I get him to let me put him down without biting me

#3 extension of #2 how do I get him back in his cage when he won’t even let me put him down lol

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
I would say "no shoulder" whatsoever for now. Milo does not understand the concept of invitation only. It will take a lot of repetition and bandage (for your fingers). What you have to do is, whenever he comes up to your shoulder, put him back to a stand right away.

We have a rolling stand that's about chest high. If Winston is on my shoulder, and I want him off, I lower my shoulder while leaning forward to the stand. He has no other ways but to get off. It has to do with the angle of the shoulder.
It is probably easier for me since Winston is a bigger bird. Milo can probably hang around your neck. Practice and improvise as you go. Protect your ears...make sure you have bandages.

We use similar method as #2. We take him to his cage on our shoulder. Position ourselves so he HAS TO go inside. I typically bent my back, so he is right near the cage door. He will grab the door and attempt to climb up. I have to be quick to shut the door before he reaches the top. We rarely have to do this now.
We are training Winston to go back to his "room". We say, "back to your room!", put him in and give a treat when he is inside. He does not like it, but he complains less when we do so.
Another way is to leave a HIGH value treat in the cage. I let my neighbor do this when they bird-sit. Whole almond with shell always work.

This phase will pass if you put things to practice. It takes a while, but consistency is the key. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
I would say "no shoulder" whatsoever for now. Milo does not understand the concept of invitation only. It will take a lot of repetition and bandage (for your fingers). What you have to do is, whenever he comes up to your shoulder, put him back to a stand right away.

We have a rolling stand that's about chest high. If Winston is on my shoulder, and I want him off, I lower my shoulder while leaning forward to the stand. He has no other ways but to get off. It has to do with the angle of the shoulder.
It is probably easier for me since Winston is a bigger bird. Milo can probably hang around your neck. Practice and improvise as you go. Protect your ears...make sure you have bandages.

We use similar method as #2. We take him to his cage on our shoulder. Position ourselves so he HAS TO go inside. I typically bent my back, so he is right near the cage door. He will grab the door and attempt to climb up. I have to be quick to shut the door before he reaches the top. We rarely have to do this now.
We are training Winston to go back to his "room". We say, "back to your room!", put him in and give a treat when he is inside. He does not like it, but he complains less when we do so.
Another way is to leave a HIGH value treat in the cage. I let my neighbor do this when they bird-sit. Whole almond with shell always work.

This phase will pass if you put things to practice. It takes a while, but consistency is the key. Good luck!

Excellent thank you for all this! I appreciate it :) We will practice a new routine and stronger boundaries and he can earn back shoulders later, through being nice [emoji3526]

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you are SURE he is biting because he doesn't want to go back (and not due to your reaction) you could try giving him a treat he loves right before you put him back so that his mouth is busy. You do want to make sure you follow through though (again, only if you are certain he is biting because he doesn't want to go back to his cage). Are you locking him in every time? The other thing you could do is just put him on his cage top (instead of shutting him in). That might feel less tragic to him lol. If he won't stay-- you could work on target training and perch training as a next step.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
He’s gotten particularly nippy with fingers now that he believes them to be the ones responsible for taking him off my shoulders.

Those pesky fingers. Perhaps if you premptively wrap with bandages Milo might perceive his enemy has been restrained and cease nipping? (Okay well maybe not. Just a thought...) You've already been working on bite-pressure training with him right?

It certainly can be harder for us with little birds sometimes. Because they can actually move beyond our reach when on shoulders, or behind our neck so all we can reach is their little defending beak.

When Sunny decides she hasn't had enough shoulder-time, but I need her down, first I tell her about it. So by now she has learned some of my words.

Then I offer her other perches, which she can step onto withOut having to step herself onto my hand. Some times, her reluctance to leave my shoulder combines with my inability to see behind my head, such that my hand may be at poor angle for step-up.

Most of the time, once she knows I'm serious, she will accept one of the alternate step-off options (handheld perch, cage-top, parrot-ladder, etc).

However, IF she doesn't. Well. Normally she perches not actually on my skin, but on my shirt. Shirt, unlike skin, is removable.... So, slowly & carefully, Not to shake nor frighten her in anyway, I Remove Myself from the shirt, until she is resting comfortably on a shirt-wad. This, although not un-comfortable in any way, is apparently always less pleasant to her than whichever other option I had previously offered and at this point she is ready to step to wheverever she should be.

I really don't do this often at all. (And obviously not in front of windows or company!) I feel like she quickly picked up on the circumstances when I would do it (ie, getting dressed in the morning), and realized she would get Back to my shoulder more quickly & easily if she behaved herself.

(Ymmv of course. For me, this is my go-to, bite-free, bird-removal backup-plan.)

Last edited:
OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
He’s gotten particularly nippy with fingers now that he believes them to be the ones responsible for taking him off my shoulders.

Those pesky fingers. Perhaps if you premptively wrap with bandages Milo might perceive his enemy has been restrained and cease nipping? (Okay well maybe not. Just a thought...) You've already been working on bite-pressure training with him right?

It certainly can be harder for us with little birds sometimes. Because they can actually move beyond our reach when on shoulders, or behind our neck so all we can reach is their little defending beak.

When Sunny decides she hasn't had enough shoulder-time, but I need her down, first I tell her about it. So by now she has learned some of my words.

Then I offer her other perches, which she can step onto withOut having to step herself onto my hand. Some times, her reluctance to leave my shoulder combines with my inability to see behind my head, such that my hand may be at poor angle for step-up.

Most of the time, once she knows I'm serious, she will accept one of the alternate step-off options (handheld perch, cage-top, parrot-ladder, etc).

However, IF she doesn't. Well. Normally she perches not actually on my skin, but on my shirt. Shirt, unlike skin, is removable.... So, slowly & carefully, Not to shake nor frighten her in anyway, I Remove Myself from the shirt, until she is resting comfortably on a shirt-wad. This, although not un-comfortable in any way, is apparently always less pleasant to her than whichever other option I had previously offered and at this point she is ready to step to wheverever she should be.

I really don't do this often at all. I feel like she quickly picked up on the circumstances when I would do it (ie, getting dressed in the morning), and realized she would get Back to my shoulder more quickly & easily if she behaved herself.

(Ymmv of course. For me, this is my go-to, bite-free, bird-removal backup-plan.)

This is all SOOO helpful! Milo is the sweetest, kindest boy on my shoulder. But sadly, he can’t be there all day [emoji23] And when he ought to go, he doesn’t want to! I will give these a try and see how it works. I’d hate to lose our cuddle time, but I also need to make sure I have safe ways to remove him from my person so he can go where he needs to without either of us being upset by it [emoji1]

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Its still early days Lollypoppy, Connie and I understand each other now but its taken over five months. The first few weeks she fluffed up and ran at me to bite my fingers,I spent a few times in tears over it. Its a slow progress to get them comfortable with us.
As you say,very difficult to get them off your shoulder. I let Connie watch me put safflower seed on her shelf, which my OH made,so she had somewhere to rest her feet.Its now associated with a treat too! She watches all this and is only to keen to run down my arm and into her house.
They also seem to like routine,like a child.
She comes out every morning in the kitchen,and is out for so long that she gets hungry,so is glad to go back to get food. She doesnt seem to realise she can go back at any time to get it!!
It will all come together eventually for you and Milo. Try to remain calm.

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
Doobie, a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure baby about 6 weeks old (on May 11, 2020)
Hi lollipoppy. I know exactly what you mean about the bird wanting to be ON you all the time. So does mine. I've only had my baby for 3 days but I've been trying to use positive reinforcement. Instead of allowing my bird to sit on my head or my shoulder all the time I've tried a 'snuggling' routine that seems to satisfy. When I'm at my computer I crumple a t-shirt on the desk in front of me or on my lap and put the bird there and pet him alot and tell him what a good birdie he is. Often he will talk to me during this time by making little chirpy sounds. When I want to pick up my bird I most always let him think it's his idea by stepping on my finger or hand and I talk to him the whole time. I bring him to his cage to the threshold of the open door and say 'go home' and let him climb in by himself. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries but eventually persistence and patience wins out. I hope maybe this can help you. You just have to have more patience than the bird! Good luck.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Bribery! That's the way I have achieved it. I spent a couple of months covered head to toe, hoodie, gloves, long sleeves and thought I would never disrobe again. I managed Syd by showing him a treat. He will kill for a sunflower seed so they are very restricted and used as a bribe. If he goes where I want him - say into his cage - he gets the treat after he is in. Sometimes I show it to him and he will follow it and once he is in place he gets it. Now I just have to get the seed pot and he goes all biddable.

He is the sort who just loves to snuggle behind my head but as you say there are times... at first it was a real struggle but now he understands and we muddle along pretty well.

Most Reactions