mineral block questions

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
Hello everyone!
I have two questions regarding mineral blocks for parrots. My pineapple green cheek Paisley adores chewing and eating her Living World Apple -shaped mineral block, which is pink in colour (not those white ones). I'm wondering, is the colouring they use in mineral blocks truly safe for our parrots ?
And my second question is, can eating too much of the mineral block be harmful for our birds in the long run? I know that for humans, having too much minerals can cause issues, like mineral deposits, kidney stones, etc.
is it possible that it could be the same with our birds? Paisley eats this stuff all the time, constantly throughout the day. She seems to love it. Just concerned if she can have too much of it –
Thank you so much for your thoughts/comments!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Most mineral blocks are hand made by the seller. What type of coloring is always a question. The couple of manufacturers that make them are not regulated and the safety of the product is always in question.

One should only add additional minerals and other additives 'IF' the blood chems indicate an imbalance. It is very possible to over supply special additives by providing multiple sources of 'fortified' food sources. Always confirm the real need by having your Avian Professional blood test.

OP
Farnoosh

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
Most mineral blocks are hand made by the seller. What type of coloring is always a question. The couple of manufacturers that make them are not regulated and the safety of the product is always in question.

One should only add additional minerals and other additives 'IF' the blood chems indicate an imbalance. It is very possible to over supply special additives by providing multiple sources of 'fortified' food sources. Always confirm the real need by having your Avian Professional blood test.
Thank you very much! Yes getting blood work done is a very good idea. Thanks again for your input.

Most Reactions

Latest posts