Missy

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Missy walked out yesterday, it's the only way she could have gotten out. She was asleep on the fridge and next thing she was gone. I am shattered. At nearly 4 months she is too young to survive for long. I was just teaching her to forage and flight recall but she wasn't good at either. The fireworks tonight will finish her for sure.

Attachments

• 20211030_074051.jpg
    20211030_074051.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 3 and a half months old.jpeg
    3 and a half months old.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20211124_073008.jpg
    20211124_073008.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 99

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Missy walked out yesterday, it's the only way she could have gotten out. She was asleep on the fridge and next thing she was gone. I am shattered. At nearly 4 months she is too young to survive for long. I was just teaching her to forage and flight recall but she wasn't good at either. The fireworks tonight will finish her for sure.
I am so sorry to know Missy escaped and understand your fear for the worst outcome. Please consider techniques within attached thread. Speedy response and cooperation of family + friends may reward you and Missy with swift reunification: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/bring-them-home-tips-on-locating-a-lost-bird.49129/

Keep us updated or post if you simply need encouragement.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Miss Mac, I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened! You can post about her loss on local Facebook groups and also on Parrot Alert 911, their link is below...

You can also alert all local vet clinics, not just avian ones, in case she finds her way onto a friendly shoulder and someone hands her in.

It's bad timing for sure with New Years' fireworks etc happening this evening but all hope is not lost! I have managed to get no fewer than 3 escaped birds back over the years, and some are reunited even after many weeks or months. I got an IRN back years ago by pounding the pavement and doing a good old fashioned leaflet drop in neighbourhood letterboxes.

Wishing you all the very best and I hope that Missy finds her way home to you soon ❀️ πŸ™

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Do not give up!
Birds hunker down at night, and fireworks are like a big thunderstorms. So they birds should stay put. Mine never react to the ones my obnoxious neighbors set off. Unlike my poor dogs...
I'm praying for the return of your bird

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Oh no! I'm so sorry Missy escaped. Never give up! Alert EVERYONE that could possibly find her. Give them all contact information, phone, email, etc.
With the New Year's fireworks, Missy will likely find a safe place to settle down and not leave. Go out and look the hardest you can during fireworks.
I hope Missy is found soon πŸ™

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am so sorry to hear about your parrot. If you have a facebook rescues in your area, animal control, and so on would be good places to look. Also post on their wall as well. There are websites to help find, and search for lost parrots. It doesn't say where you are from, but here are a few links:

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Did you find your baby girl??!! I have been praying hard for u!!
And thank you so much for your prayers, it was the help I needed. Yes I found her and because she was so weak I managed to capture her. She was out a total of 6 days and I believe another hour and she would have perished. She was exhausted, cold, wet and starving. I now have an issue with her and food. She acts like she is always hungry but I know she can't be because I have fed her and watched her eat, yet she still acts like a seagull and will swoop in and steal food off my plate.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
The natural instinct kicking in..
I had a real battle with her yesterday. She was so intent on swiping my lunch off my plate right under my nose that it angered me. I caged her just so I could eat lunch without having to fight for it. Of course that meant that come bedtime she didn't want to go in the cage... I had to chase her all over the place to wear her out so I could catch her and cage her.... I hate those days. HATE THEM! I'm going to email BirdTricks for some advice.

There is some sibling rivalry going on too. They're not from the same mum or breeder but are supposed to be similar in age... size wise they are not... Missy is bigger but Gracie... she is still growing out her breeder clipped wings, is definitely smaller and a biter. She goes at Missy when Missy has her tail in Gracie's way, she goes Missy if they feed off the same plate, and I have to run interference just to try to stop this behaviour from Gracie. It's not all the time thankfully. I know it is probably stemming from Gracie not being able to fly yet so it's a mixture of jealousy and frustration.

Missy has gone thru her first moult (I think she had - unsure what to expect or see) but Gracie hasn't yet but I think Missy's outside for 6 days thing stressed her to the point of a moult. I think Missy is also showing some... I don't want to say nesting behaviour but, as they are both doing this maybe it is a female IRN thing?.... I call it rolling. They both roll fabric under them. Missy loves doing it, she gets all sort of "Ooooooo" when she does it. Gracie is more subdued. Missy will climb up under and into my cardigan given half the chance, and just sit there, all quiet and content enough to grind her beak.

Most Reactions

Latest posts