Misting Budgies

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello Friends,

I am going to attempt to mist Cozy for the first time tomorrow. Despite my best efforts, including splashing myself with spinach leaves, she wonā€™t bathe. Since Iā€™ve been having such severe allergies recently, thought Iā€™d get a gentle mister. I plan on just using Luke warm filtered water. Is it ok if I mist her while sheā€™s in the cage? I was only going to start in one area and if she moves away I wonā€™t force it. Thoughts?

Also, I read on another post that misting colloidal silver in the air helps with clearing the air from bacteria I think? Anyone try this? Is that true and bird safe?

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
I'd say it's okay to try misting the way you planned and see where things go!
If your bird is not okay with it and shows clear signs of discomfort, then yes it's a good idea to stop and perhaps get her desensitized to the mister since budgies and other smaller parrots tend to be more mistrusting of new experiences and are more skittish.
As for the second part of your post, not sure but will look into it more! Hopefully someone has a good answer to that!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
I'd say it's okay to try misting the way you planned and see where things go!
If your bird is not okay with it and shows clear signs of discomfort, then yes it's a good idea to stop and perhaps get her desensitized to the mister since budgies and other smaller parrots tend to be more mistrusting of new experiences and are more skittish.
As for the second part of your post, not sure but will look into it more! Hopefully someone has a good answer to that!
Thanks Henderbird!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My budgie Val is not crazy about bathtime. Occasionally he will fling himself into his water dish and he enjoys it when he does, but it's pretty rare. However when I get the mist bottle out to spray the cockatiels, he gets right into that and enjoys it enormously! Just aim the nozzle of the bottle straight upwards above your bird's head so that the mist falls like a gentle shower of rain. Your girl doesn't need to get completely soaking wet to get the benefit, it will induce a preening response as she dries herself off.

As far as the colloidal silver is concerned, I have never used it myself and would not be confident in recommending it. Really as long as you are using fresh tap water there is no need to add anything to it :)

Good luck with shower time, I hope your girl enjoys it!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
My budgie Val is not crazy about bathtime. Occasionally he will fling himself into his water dish and he enjoys it when he does, but it's pretty rare. However when I get the mist bottle out to spray the cockatiels, he gets right into that and enjoys it enormously! Just aim the nozzle of the bottle straight upwards above your bird's head so that the mist falls like a gentle shower of rain. Your girl doesn't need to get completely soaking wet to get the benefit, it will induce a preening response as she dries herself off.

As far as the colloidal silver is concerned, I have never used it myself and would not be confident in recommending it. Really as long as you are using fresh tap water there is no need to add anything to it :)

Good luck with shower time, I hope your girl enjoys it!
Thanks LaManuka!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
The misting went pretty well. She didnā€™t seem to mind. I was entertained šŸ˜‚

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days

Most Reactions