Mite cage protectors

keetmom

Mar 20, 2011
AR USA
Parrots
Quaker Parrot (Allie)
budgies - Baby & Rio
I was recently told not to use the mite cage protectors (round can that hangs on cage) as they are toxic. My parents used them on their canary cage when I was a kid and the birds were not harmed. My Quaker chews, and bites at herself a lot lately. Can I get these might protectors? I have a big flight cage so I'd prob get two, one down lower and another higher up. Any input?

OP
K

keetmom

Mar 20, 2011
AR USA
Parrots
Quaker Parrot (Allie)
budgies - Baby & Rio
Is there anyone here who uses them??

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
ok my nut is currently molting, and i did think at the start she had a mite/flea thing goin on as she was constantly grooming/scratching etc

the way i see it is, the mite protectors will act like a pesticide, so in effect you are taking a toxic substance and placing it into the birds cage. unless your cage is outside of your house, i can't see mites infesting it, as if that was the case you too would have been bit by them

beaphar has a product called spot on, if it is mites use that and then give the cage a through clean!

if you are making your own wood perches and not treating the wood beforehand, your birds can pick mites up that way

Most Reactions

Latest posts