Mix today and the official taste tester....

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
So since I was making up lentils and chicken with coconut milk / curry spices for us for dinner, decided to continue birdward and make up a off the cuff mish mash....

So, I pulled out pearl barley (bought it before I realized only fully hulled barley would sprout and I can't have gluten, so not like we're gonna eat it)... so started with barley and decided instead of regular pasta I'd use some of my bean sprout glass Asian noodles which Ivory loves. So threw them into a pot to cook and soften up. Then rummaged thru the fridge to see what we had...

cucumbers
carrots (birds won't eat them, but put them thru the nutribullet with applesauce so it can just coat everything, little buggers will eat carrots one way or another!!!)
green peppers
hot pepper flakes
little coconut oil to make sure pepper flakes stick
lentils left off from the coconut chicken

Here are photos, think there is a shot or two that shows the actual mix... but you can see I had to have an official tester to make sure everything tasted yummy...

Checking to see if Victoria's finger tasted between then the mish-mash...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Mmm, my mouth is watering from reading the ingredients... :32: I want some over here in CA!

Cute pics of Ivory too. Had to laugh at first pic sitting backwards on the bowl... I hope there's no added secret ingredient...

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Nope, no added secret sauce!!! I kept pushing her butt around so she wouldn't have an accident, but nuttin' honey! :)

I would eat this too if it was for barley... was thinking I need to stick with using rice and gluten free pasta cause this smelled really good, I was so tempted!!! But the barley would have me a mass of muscle spasms tomorrow... but need to use the barley for something!! :)

If you come and visit the east coast, I'll make ya lunch :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Jen- how rare are bare-eye cockatoos?.... I don't see many of them in Ontario at all....
just more of the other too's.

she looks like she is enjoying herself immensely.
Your allergic to barely?....boy those muscle spasms sound absolutely dreadful!

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Bare eyed toos are not exactly uncommon, but not overly common either... hows that for clear :) Folger was the only bare eyed too we had seen in a shelter, but I had read about them. We just happened to stumble upon Ivory who had been a return / rehome to the store where the original owner's had purchased her as a baby. It is just a complete coincidence that we have two bare eyeds. Victoria had been looking at Folger for almost a year on petfinder, she could never explain why she was so drawn to him. And I was more of the mind set... no way we are getting a white crazy too....

Ivory came home first... we just stumbled upon Ivory. We went over to the big Parrot Palooza that Birds Paradise has. On the drive over, my husband kept telling me, Victoria and our birdsitter, Callie, (who came along since we had just helped her adopt her first bird), anyway, he kept telling us - we are not getting another bird, we don't need another bird (you can imagine the no we are not gonna....). We get there and he actually saw her first and pulled me over into the room (tug at sleeve, hey wanna show you something)... walk up to the cage, shrug and say, yeah its a bare eyed cockatoo.... he responds, doesn't she look nice... rest is history... Tho we do love to torment him with the 'we're not getting another bird comments' and HE picks out a cockatoo. She has turned out to be primarily my bird, but I'm the weakest link and spoil her to bits, and home more then anyone else. Never thought we would be a too home, but have to admit, we are crazy too people....

Victoria kept showing me Folger's poor sad looking photo on petfinder (and it never changed), I finally caved and we went over. More of the rest is history!!!

Goffins are the most common of the small toos around here,, Galahs are probably more common then bare eyeds, but still not something you see often. Umbrella toos are way too common and unfortunately alot of them at shelters. And we see Moluccan and Moluccan crosses way more then I'd like, really upsets me that they are still actively bred, the smaller toos are much more adaptive to living in homes.

Barley... I cannot have any gluten, not even a cracker crumb. I don't test allergic and its one of those weird reactions.... but, I think I've mentioned before, I have multiple sclerosis. There were times when I could barely walk my legs hurt so bad and it never seemed to be a rhyme or reason. So I kept a food diary for a short time, became real clear real quick that gluten was not my friend. Then once I eliminated gluten, lactose became more problematic. I eat little lactose products too, but do take a lactaid sometimes if I have something out that may have cheese in it, usually helps. But, my reactions are more central nervous system, guess the gluten is like rubbing salt into the lesions on my spine. I'm a weird MSer, my brain is 'normal' (go ahead, comment away!!), and all the lesions are setup in the cervical and thoracic area of my spine. Good news, cognitive function is quite strong, but I have more physical reactions. Still doing really good, do not need to use any walking aid and can do most of what I want, just can't do it all in one day anymore! :)

The good news out of all this... after stopping the gluten, I have lost 36 pounds with doing nothing else. So I'll take that!!! :)

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
She is so cute. And you just reminded me to start soaking my bird mix for my babies. :)

I see more and more Bare eyed Cockatoos around here now that I have Jasper. It's kinda like when you buy a new car and you suddenly see them all over the road. Lol. Our local bird shops have three or four between the two I think. Makes me sad to see them at one of the stores because he is in a parakeet size cage. And he begs and begs for attention. Poor thing has been there for months:(. The little Goffins seem to get homes quicker. Boy, those people who overlook the bare eyes are missing out in my opinion. :). Love my naked eyed man so much more than I even thought I could.

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Cari - I agree with you... people overlook the bare eyeds for a 'prettier' bird but don't consider the personality. They have amazing personalities and you never notice the eye patches after a while :) I just see my pretty baby girl.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That mix looks amazing! Can I come for lunch too? I promise I will keep my butt out of the bowl:)

I have never seen a bare eyed too for sale here. Some Umbrellas and Mollucans, and a couple of Goffins, but mostly the sulphur crested.

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
You know what's kinda strange? My avian vet said that Jasper looks like a goffins bare eyed hybrid. She could not believe he was a bare eyed. I don't get it. He totally looks like a young bare eyed to me. Luckily she works very close with the breeder who is very reputable so I'm pretty certain I wasn't sold a hybrid. Thought it was strange though that she was so dumbfounded by him. Maybe she doesn't see many bare eyed Toos either. Lol

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Our primary avian vet said she is only the 2nd in her practice and all she really sees all week are birds. Or other pets in bird families, we take our cats to see her too cause we adore her! But they don't see too many.... People always say they are underrated to their more handsome relatives. I don't think they know what they are missing :) but I bet someone is saying that about me and tield#!!!!! :)

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
That mix looks amazing! Can I come for lunch too? I promise I will keep my butt out of the bowl:)

I have never seen a bare eyed too for sale here. Some Umbrellas and Mollucans, and a couple of Goffins, but mostly the sulphur crested.

Stick your butt in the bowl and you get the whole bowl :09:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hmmm, maybe Ivory is onto something there:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
She is so cute. And you just reminded me to start soaking my bird mix for my babies. :)

I see more and more Bare eyed Cockatoos around here now that I have Jasper. It's kinda like when you buy a new car and you suddenly see them all over the road. Lol. Our local bird shops have three or four between the two I think. Makes me sad to see them at one of the stores because he is in a parakeet size cage. And he begs and begs for attention. Poor thing has been there for months:(. The little Goffins seem to get homes quicker. Boy, those people who overlook the bare eyes are missing out in my opinion. :). Love my naked eyed man so much more than I even thought I could.

I had to laugh at your car analogy, I completely know what you're talking about :).
I had a Slender Billed Corella, rare (in the US) relative of the Bare Eyed, and also has bare eyes. I LOVE those eyes. They move around all crazy like a chameleon, who could resist that?!

Most Reactions

Latest posts