Mixed signals

Danimiller1313

May 3, 2021
I have recently rescued a 32 year old blue and gold macaw. He is so sweet and I’m in love already. His background is a little shady but I don’t think he has ever been abused. I already knew the bonding process would take a very long time and I have no problem taking it slow and bonding with him. I have had him for only 4 days now but he is already attached I think. He is constantly talking and dancing with me and he spends most of the day on top of his cage where he can feel safe. I talk to him for hours and have even taught him to say I love you. The problem is it seems like he wants to be with me so bad. He will scream and call every time I leave the room and he puts his foot up and tries to get as close to me as he can. He will also put his head down like he wants me to scratch him but he won’t step up or let me touch him yet. I can’t tell he wants me to so bad but still isn’t quite sure. Do you think eventually he will take the plunge and let me or is he maybe wanting something else? The mixed signals are confusing me lol

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You appear to be bonding quite well considering just 4 days in your home. "Honeymoon period" of adjustment can take weeks or months depending on circumstances. Fortunately your bird appears well socialized, but use caution with potentially creating a "velcro bird." Important for him to develop ability to self entertain in your absence. A large cage filled with variety of toys helpful to teach a bit of independence. Give him time and work at his pace which might mean another week or three before feeling comfortable in new "forever home." Resist temptation to react to "contact calling" screaming but reward for good behavior. Macaws need a bit more fat in their diet than most parrots; bits of almond, walnut, macadamia generally loved in exchange for progress.

A few helpful threads:
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Enjoy the Honeymoon period as it provides an excellent time to develop a trust bond! It is important to remember that Parrots have no reason natural reason, like zero reason to trust Humans. It becomes important to daily work on providing them a reason to trust us.

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw
First - My family recently added a Camelot Macaw, Ruby, to our flock. She has been at home with us for a whole week today!

If it brings any comfort, she is behaving very much the same. She won't step up or let us do "scritches", but I can see changes in other ways that show me she trusts us (or doesn't trust certain ones).

When she first met me, at her old home, she would do the famous macaw "lunging" test every time I came near. Now I, and others in my family, can get very close to her, interact with things inside her cage, throw our hands in the air, or approach her cage at varying speeds etc and she doesn't do the lunge test. That to me is great progress.

I talk to Ruby constantly, but she hasn't added any new words to her vocab yet, but she is still very young, just a year old this month.

Good luck - and if you have pics I'd love to see them!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts