Molluscicide for Plants-to-be-eaten-by-Parrot?

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
So we've a little outdoor garden, and everything we grow (with the exception of one flower plant) is Cairo-edible. It's honestly a garden for him.

m5qtTkL.jpg

qzKl5KB.jpg

That being said, we're having trouble with regular garden snails as well as cone snails. Sometimes, I go at night and use a torchlight to catch the big snails in the garden, but even then, the little cone snails are still eating at our veggies (luckily we've the hydroponics inside).

My partner is looking at getting this organic molluscicide to put on the ground around the plants. So the leaves themselves won't be treated, just the ground that the plants absorb nutrients from. I said I'd ask here if it's safe for Cairo to still eat the plants.

In addition, we've the big red amaranth - they've hollow stems and a couple just collapsed from fungus problems. So my partner wants to treat those plants with this organic fungicide. Will the amaranths still be edible afterwards?

It's no worries if Cairo can't eat the plants afterwards - we still have the hydroponics set for him. Just wanted to know if I should avoid feeding the garden veggies to him after we treat them with these products.

Bonus hydroponics photo:
P3CdXtN.jpg

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Last edited:

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Ok, so this might sound odd, but for the snails, could you try beer? You can look up online how to set it up, but basically you put it in a dish or cup nestled into the ground and slugs and snails are attracted to it, fall in, and die. It's a cheap way to treat and it wouldn't effect the soil or plants at all.

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Ok, so this might sound odd, but for the snails, could you try beer? You can look up online how to set it up, but basically you put it in a dish or cup nestled into the ground and slugs and snails are attracted to it, fall in, and die. It's a cheap way to treat and it wouldn't effect the soil or plants at all.

Yep, we've done this before with yeast-water (since it's the yeast in the beer that the snails like). It's been relatively successful in catching some cone snails, but not enough to wipe them out unfortunately. There's quite a colony :(
It worked for a while, but then some of the veggies growing hardly have any leaves left. It's only the basil and other herbs that are hardy enough. The bayam/amaranth doesn't stand a chance. (And the bayam/amaranth is what the humans eat hahaha)

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
You know, organic does not equal safe!
I’m not recommending this site, but they are an excellent site for easy to find information on poisons!
https://www.domyown.com/msds/SDSCopper.pdf
https://www.domyown.com/msds/Southern_AG_Liquid_Copper_Fungicide_Label_2020.pdf

Something that just occurred to me, your amaranth. For that, you will need a systemic product! That’s a bad direction!

Yeah, I figured the fungicide wouldn't be good at all... I guess we'll just try to localise treatment as much as possible, keep the plants that aren't affected (like the basil and mint) in a separate section and leave the affected plants together. Cairo will only be mildly disappointed his foraging toys are gone.

I guess not even soaking the plants before offering to him would help? Or stop the fungicide treatment a few days/weeks before harvesting?

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Ok, so my partner asked around for different advice (on both his garden and his hydroponics). One guy told him to bleach the hydroponics; I said, "No way." And I said I'd rather clean with F10, which is safer for Cairo.

So! We're going to try F10 in the garden for a while - he's hoping the claim to "Highly effective at low concentrations against bacteria, fungi, viruses and bacterial/fungal spores" will at least be a veterinary-safe work around for now.

I'll update how F10ing the garden goes.... hahah

Most Reactions

Latest posts