Molting or illness

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Hi my macaw is 8 months old. Last couple of days she is scratching alot. Feathers at bottom of cage. Is she molting or is something wrong. Even during the night when I check the camera she is scratching. Looks annoying for her.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi my macaw is 8 months old. Last couple of days she is scratching alot. Feathers at bottom of cage. Is she molting or is something wrong. Even during the night when I check the camera she is scratching. Looks annoying for her.
Look closely at the shed feathers. Are the pointed ends of the quills intact or are they br

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Look closely at the shed feathers. Are the pointed ends of the quills intact or are they br
Broken off? Is there any blood on them? Does she have any bald patches? How old was she when you got her? Has she molted since you got her? Has she been bathing regularly?

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
No bald patches and no blood. She showers twice a week. I'll send post a pic

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Broken off? Is there any blood on them? Does she have any bald patches? How old was she when you got her? Has she molted since you got her? Has she been bathing regularly?

Attachments

• IMG-20230315-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20230315-WA0001.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
She was 14 weeks when we got her. She has lost feathers before but not this bad.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Do they become agitated? Or restless

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I haven't had a macaw, but my African ringneck had a very heavy molt last year and was miserable. We actually put him on pain medication for a little bit because he was so obviously uncomfortable and grumpy.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Just put her in a long shower and she was so relaxed. It's a shame. Everytime I looked at camera during the night she was scratching/preening.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
When the bigger ones start coming out, you should notice that they will kinda come in pairs, if it's a molt. They molt symmetrically. Do you see lots of pin feathers yet? Pancho started his first big molt about this time last year. It started on his head, it seemed like. Are there pin feathers on her head?

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
So what does everyone think? They look molted to me rather than plucked or broken off but I'm no expert on feathers.
I've only had my macaw for a little over a year, and he's not a plucker. So I don't really know the difference by looking at the feathers.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Yes pin feathers on her head but not ready to be scratched. She has lost at least 6 feathers today. Different sized ones

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Yes pin feathers on her head but not ready to be scratched. She has lost at least 6 feathers today. Different sized ones
Sounds like a molt 😃 When wing feathers start coming, you'll notice when one side loses one, the other side loses the same one within a couple days. It's most noticeable on clipped feathers. Tail feathers too

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Billie had a good sleep last night. Lost couple more small feathers but seems more happier this morning 🥰. This must be her 1st proper molt.

Most Reactions