Molting or plucking please help

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
Hi i have a conure of 2 years and Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s mulling or plucking do I need to add something to his diet? Heā€™s never done this so I am worried.

Attachments

• 9CB3B145-537C-4BCB-98C0-810B60973F0B.jpeg
    9CB3B145-537C-4BCB-98C0-810B60973F0B.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 33

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Looks like plucking, molting isn't so concentrated.

Best thing would be a CAV visit as plucking suddenly can be a huge red flag.
Any number of health issues or mental issues can cause plucking.
What is his diet?

OP
D

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
Looks like plucking, molting isn't so concentrated.

Best thing would be a CAV visit as plucking suddenly can be a huge red flag.
Any number of health issues or mental issues can cause plucking.
What is his diet?
Primarily seeds we feed him fruits every once in a while. Should I have him checked out? We just took him to the vet maybe 2 months ago and all was ok.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
What tests were done at the vet? A blood test and fecal?

A parrots diet should be almost no seed, they should eat tons of veggies, and have pellets available always.
I have a green cheek, his diet is very varied, his breakfast is chop, a mix of 10+ veggies, sprouts, flowers, and herbs. His dinner is birdie bread which is his pellets as the flour and veg as the wet ingredients. He gets just 1/4 tsp. of seed each day, fruit should be a seldom treat, say 2-3 times a week.
Pellets I recommend are TOPs or, if you can get him to eat those, Harrisons.

There are SOOOO many diet threads on this forum, you should check them out.

I also recommend BirdNerdSophie, ElleandtheBirds, SoaringWingsFlock, and TheParrotTeacher, all Youtube channels that have great advice on parrot diet.
Your bird having an excellent diet is so important to his health, if he eats seeds only everyday it's like if you ate fast food for every meal.

Does he have lots of foraging toys? If he doesn't have anything to do other than eat he may have started plucking due to being bored.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
After you have him checked out for medical reasons, use our SEARCH feature on here to get some ideas of how to enrich your parrots life. A busy, engaged parrot on a good diet rarely starts to pluck. DO this NOW, as you do not want him to become addicted to the brief jolt of endorphins that plucking can give. Good Luck!!

OP
D

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
What tests were done at the vet? A blood test and fecal?

A parrots diet should be almost no seed, they should eat tons of veggies, and have pellets available always.
I have a green cheek, his diet is very varied, his breakfast is chop, a mix of 10+ veggies, sprouts, flowers, and herbs. His dinner is birdie bread which is his pellets as the flour and veg as the wet ingredients. He gets just 1/4 tsp. of seed each day, fruit should be a seldom treat, say 2-3 times a week.
Pellets I recommend are TOPs or, if you can get him to eat those, Harrisons.

There are SOOOO many diet threads on this forum, you should check them out.

I also recommend BirdNerdSophie, ElleandtheBirds, SoaringWingsFlock, and TheParrotTeacher, all Youtube channels that have great advice on parrot diet.
Your bird having an excellent diet is so important to his health, if he eats seeds only everyday it's like if you ate fast food for every meal.

Does he have lots of foraging toys? If he doesn't have anything to do other than eat he may have started plucking due to being bored.
I will look into more food options for my two birds. He does have lots of toys that he usually shreads. It was just an anual check up I donā€™t believe any blood or fecal matter weā€™re checked at that time.

OP
D

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
After you have him checked out for medical reasons, use our SEARCH feature on here to get some ideas of how to enrich your parrots life. A busy, engaged parrot on a good diet rarely starts to pluck. DO this NOW, as you do not want him to become addicted to the brief jolt of endorphins that plucking can give. Good Luck!!
I will thank you so much!!

Most Reactions