Molting or plucking

May 17, 2020
By my parrots neck I can see his pink skin when he moves his head and stretches in that place there are a lot of new pin feathers growing. How do I know if he's plucking of if its his moult.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Looking just at bare skin and pin feathers, you canā€™t tell. Though bare skin can be an indication unto itself of plucking.

Your primary can tell by the feathers that were removed.

If itā€™s a molt the feathers will look like a quill. The tip is intact, like you could pick it up and write with it.

if itā€™s plucking, the tip will be chewed/tattered. Or quite simply you will have completely and utter destroyed feathers on the bottom of your cage.

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Looking just at bare skin and pin feathers, you canā€™t tell. Though bare skin can be an indication unto itself of plucking.

Your primary can tell by the feathers that were removed.

If itā€™s a molt the feathers will look like a quill. The tip is intact, like you could pick it up and write with it.

if itā€™s plucking, the tip will be chewed/tattered. Or quite simply you will have completely and utter destroyed feathers on the bottom of your cage.
Yeah no feathers were destroyed all the feathers that I found had the tips on them it's on his neck I heard they have less feathers around there neck anyway I can only see it when she stretches his head quite forward but there are many new feathers growing in that area. The only issue of getting photos is when I point the camera at him he's gets hypnotised by it lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts