molting

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, I'm still waiting for Aster to go through a molt. She just turned a year old.

I've talked to a few other conure owners about it and they mentioned that some captive birds do not go through a big 'seasonal' molt since they dont experience seasons like a wild bird would. Rather they just lose a couple feathers here and there and regrow them throughout the year. Is this true?

Apollo always has big dramatic molts and that's pretty much my experience with molting.

Lincoln never had really big molts but I just chalked that up to him mutilating his feathers. There are times through the year though that I notice an uptick in pin feathers and lost downy feathers so I assume those are his molts (he doesnt pluck his down feathers)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So, I'm still waiting for Aster to go through a molt. She just turned a year old.

I've talked to a few other conure owners about it and they mentioned that some captive birds do not go through a big 'seasonal' molt since they dont experience seasons like a wild bird would. Rather they just lose a couple feathers here and there and regrow them throughout the year. Is this true?

Apollo always has big dramatic molts and that's pretty much my experience with molting.

Lincoln never had really big molts but I just chalked that up to him mutilating his feathers. There are times through the year though that I notice an uptick in pin feathers and lost downy feathers so I assume those are his molts (he doesnt pluck his down feathers)
Hmm, I'm not sure that true, I guess it depends on the individual bird and species? My cockatiels and budgies have a big molt each year, but they do loose other feathers here and there.
Judging since my Quaker has only molted once since I've owned him, and I've had him for a year, I'd say most species probably have seasonal molts. He molted and grew all of his flights back.
My Gcc has molted once and is about to start his second molt soon, I'm finding more feathers than 'normal' and he's about 1 1/2 yrs. now. He had one big molt for sure, when I got him he had stress bars galore, and he was clipped and in the span of I'd say 1 month or maybe a bit more the feathers were mostly grown back.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Parrots should molt seasonally. I am not sure what would disrupt that.

I’ve been seeing lots of medium length feathers in Willow’s cage and was getting a bit worried. But now he’s dropping clipped primary feathers so I know he is not plucking.

He’s starting to look a bit worn so a molt will be good!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
it makes me worried that Aster hasnt molted yet... shes a year old and I'm hearing about babies molting at 6 months. Shes lost a few feathers and gotten pins in but nothing dramatic. Probably 10 feathers max. Thankfully her feathers are in pretty good condition but... I really want her to get her flight feathers in...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I bet it depends on what time of year the chick hatched.

Maybe she hatched late enough that she kept her first set of flight feathers, didn’t drop them at 6 months?

Willow Is starting to molt RIGHT NOW so perhaps you don’t have long to wait?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
But…I see what you are saying about indoor birds being more free of seasonal cues. That’s a very good possibility and it probably varies among bird species as to what seasonal cues they need to regulate molting.

My birds have always molted seasonally but I live someplace with DRAMATIC seasons and day length differences and I try to use natural day length to cut my birds’ daytime.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
She hatched in June so she would have been 6 months in december. So I feel like that's a pretty dramatic seasonal change. I use natural lighting but not temperatures, gets way too cold for that.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ron Hines, DVM PhD writes that circadian and season rhythms and molting are controlled by a parrot’s exposure to natural sunlight:

“Indoor parrots that receive artificial light have extended molt periods and they may have several per year. They may also retain certain feathers for over a year. That is because their clock is free–running and no longer precise.”

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Should I consider looking into UVB lights? To help get her on a more regular molt cycle?

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Okay... I think it's official. Aster is FINALLY molting. Did cages today and there were 4-5 of her clipped wing feathers in the tray, as well as some tail and misc feathers. I'm SO excited

Most Reactions