Molting?

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Some days ago i posted a thread about my birds black feathers, and it could be molting. Now my one parrotlet starts lose feathers but not the other one. They always preen on my shoulder and my bird lost some feather when it preened , i see some feathers on the bottom of the cage, could it be molting? I dont see any bald spots, or if it plucked but she is fine and no behaveior changes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Where in this huge World you live (at least a region) helps in answer such a question.

Much of North America and Europe has seen higher than normal temperatures and as a result, our Parrots are loosing more body features than normal to adjust for higher temperature. (FYI: Note that those who predict weather are stating we could see a colder Winter). This type of feather loss is commonly not seen as it tends to be an overall loss of body feathers and not specific areas that could be seen as balding.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I
Where in this huge World you live (at least a region) helps in answer such a question.

Much of North America and Europe has seen higher than normal temperatures and as a result, our Parrots are loosing more body features than normal to adjust for higher temperature. (FYI: Note that those who predict weather are stating we could see a colder Winter). This type of feather loss is commonly not seen as it tends to be an overall loss of body feathers and not specific areas that could be seen as balding.
Thanks for the reply, so it means that by the world temperature some feathers fall out becuase of the weather? Its very hot in sweden right now!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understand that every year Parrots will adjust their layers of Body and under feathers to the prevailing local Weather. During cooler Summers, they choose to loose less and during warmer Summers they choose to lose more. And, it is all based on local Weather, not World Weather.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Understand that every year Parrots will adjust their layers of Body and under feathers to the prevailing local Weather. During cooler Summers, they choose to loose less and during warmer Summers they choose to lose more. And, it is all based on local Weather, not World Weather.
Okay i understand! Thankyou !

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Willow is moulting heavily right now. Tons of body, wing and tail feathers are on the cage bottom every day. Your bird may be molting too.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
My Willow is moulting heavily right now. Tons of body, wing and tail feathers are on the cage bottom every day. Your bird may be molting too.
Yes i hope this feather loss depends on molting or weather!😄

Most Reactions

Latest posts