Moluccan cockatoo

Sophie246

May 19, 2021
Hello fellow parrot lovers,thank you for accepting me to the group.My name is Julie and I have a 26 year old moluccan cockatoo who has recently lost her mate of 25 years.She is now continually trying to nest and has almost stopped eating.Has anyone else experienced this or can give me some advise.Thank you in advance.Julie.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Julie, my deepest condolences for your loss of your moluccan's mate. Parrots indeed grieve the loss of their flock and often turn that inward with destructive behaviors.

Does she have access to a nest box? I'd ordinarily recommend closure or removal when breeding not desired, but this may be a special circumstance. Too many changes following loss of a mat may create negative behaviors. Is she tame, can you handle and comfort her in ways that are not sexually stimulating? Loss of appetite is concerning, can you give her a few more special treats? Weighing a bird is critical for determining potential sickness, and in this case, maintaining healthy weight. If you have a scale sensitive in grams and she cooperates, keep a journal. You can also detect extreme weight loss by feeling the keel bone on chest.

Body+condition+score+for+birds

Other members may contribute advice, there are many methods to managing a bird experiencing loss.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry for your loss.

Truly excellent advice provided above!

- Loss of appetite is very concerning to a point of providing whatever she will eat. If they stop eating, that quickly results in a downward spiral that becomes very difficult to change.

- Whatever interaction she allows, even if it is little more that sitting next to her and simply reading aloud can help.

- ramp-up together time, allow her to know that she is not alone.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts